Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gourav_King_of_DataLand
Contributor II
Contributor II

Issue with tRESTClient with "$" (dollar sign) in key of JSON structure

Hi All,

I am pulling data from a REST api and uploading the same in DataBase. For this I have used 

tRESTClient-->tExtractJSONField-->tOutputOracle

This works fine, until the key part of (key:value) has $ 

Example JSON is for Chats. The chat might have attachments sometimes and there are extra elements to 'history' and JSON looks like

{
"chats":[
{

"id":"2001"
"comment": null,
"triggered_response": true,
"history": [
{
"name": "Guest1",
"msg_id": "1534494221340",
"msg": "Test message from Guest",
},
{
"name": "Support",
"msg_id": "1534494221340",
"msg": "Test message from support"
}

"attachment": {
"mime_type$string": "image/jpeg",
"name$string": "image.jpg",
"url$string": "image_url"
}

]
}
"count": 179049,
"next_url": "www.nexturl..."
}

This causes the tRestClient to break and gives following error

Exception in component tRESTClient_5 (Rest_API)
javax.ws.rs.client.ResponseProcessingException: Problem with reading the data, class org.dom4j.Document, ContentType: application/json;charset=utf-8.
[ERROR]: org.apache.cxf.jaxrs.utils.JAXRSUtils - Problem with reading the data, class org.dom4j.Document, ContentType: application/json;charset=utf-8.
at org.apache.cxf.jaxrs.impl.ResponseImpl.reportMessageHandlerProblem(ResponseImpl.java:446)
at org.apache.cxf.jaxrs.impl.ResponseImpl.doReadEntity(ResponseImpl.java:386)
at org.apache.cxf.jaxrs.client.AbstractClient.readBody(AbstractClient.java:528)
at org.apache.cxf.jaxrs.client.WebClient.handleResponse(WebClient.java:1126)
at org.apache.cxf.jaxrs.client.WebClient.doResponse(WebClient.java:1114)
at org.apache.cxf.jaxrs.client.WebClient.doChainedInvocation(WebClient.java:1039)
at org.apache.cxf.jaxrs.client.WebClient.doInvoke(WebClient.java:894)
at org.apache.cxf.jaxrs.client.WebClient.doInvoke(WebClient.java:862)
at org.apache.cxf.jaxrs.client.WebClient.invoke(WebClient.java:427)
at org.apache.cxf.jaxrs.client.WebClient.get(WebClient.java:607)
at dataland_data_import.rest_api_0_1.Rest_API.tRESTClient_5Process(Rest_API.java:856)
at dataland_data_import.rest_api_0_1.Rest_API.runJobInTOS(Rest_API.java:2435)
at dataland_data_import.rest_api_0_1.Rest_API.main(Rest_API.java:2284)
Caused by: javax.ws.rs.BadRequestException: HTTP 400 Bad Request
at org.apache.cxf.jaxrs.utils.SpecExceptions.toBadRequestException(SpecExceptions.java:84)
at org.apache.cxf.jaxrs.utils.ExceptionUtils.toBadRequestException(ExceptionUtils.java:121)
at org.apache.cxf.jaxrs.provider.json.JSONProvider.readFrom(JSONProvider.java:268)
at org.apache.cxf.jaxrs.provider.dom4j.DOM4JProvider.readFrom(DOM4JProvider.java:79)
at dataland_data_import.rest_api_0_1.Rest_API$2.readFrom(Rest_API.java:682)
at org.apache.cxf.jaxrs.provider.dom4j.DOM4JProvider.readFrom(DOM4JProvider.java:47)
at org.apache.cxf.jaxrs.utils.JAXRSUtils.readFromMessageBodyReader(JAXRSUtils.java:1379)
at org.apache.cxf.jaxrs.impl.ResponseImpl.doReadEntity(ResponseImpl.java:377)
... 11 more
Caused by: org.w3c.dom.DOMException: INVALID_CHARACTER_ERR: An invalid or illegal XML character is specified.
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.dom.CoreDocumentImpl.checkQName(CoreDocumentImpl.java:2603)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.dom.ElementNSImpl.setName(ElementNSImpl.java:121)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.dom.ElementNSImpl.<init>(ElementNSImpl.java:84)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.dom.CoreDocumentImpl.createElementNS(CoreDocumentImpl.java:2121)
at org.apache.cxf.staxutils.W3CDOMStreamWriter.createElementNS(W3CDOMStreamWriter.java:155)
at org.apache.cxf.staxutils.W3CDOMStreamWriter.createAndAddElement(W3CDOMStreamWriter.java:161)
at org.apache.cxf.staxutils.W3CDOMStreamWriter.writeStartElement(W3CDOMStreamWriter.java:108)
at org.apache.cxf.staxutils.StaxUtils.writeStartElement(StaxUtils.java:832)
at org.apache.cxf.staxutils.StaxUtils.copy(StaxUtils.java:760)
at org.apache.cxf.staxutils.StaxUtils.copy(StaxUtils.java:724)
at org.apache.cxf.jaxrs.provider.json.JSONProvider.copyReaderToWriter(JSONProvider.java:411)
at org.apache.cxf.jaxrs.provider.json.JSONProvider.readFrom(JSONProvider.java:227)
... 16 more

any suggestions how to handle this 😞

Labels (6)
14 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK, I have figured out what is going wrong and unfortunately there isn't really a *nice* fix to it. You need to parse this like XML (using XPath) because JsonPath irritatingly does not support the parent operator (which I agree is annoying). The problem you have is that XML does not allow element names with $ characters in them. Which kind of leaves you in limbo. What you can do is put a tJavaFlex or tJavaRow between your tRestClient and your tExtractJson component and replace any $ characters with another character (maybe a "_"). I did this to try it out and it worked perfectly.

I agree it is irritating, but this isn't really a Talend bug. It is more of a flaw of the flexibility (ie allowing your to parse Json as XML). 

The code I added can be seen below....

row1.string = string.replace('$', '_');

I hope this helps.

Gourav_King_of_DataLand
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

thanks a lot @rhall,  I was trying to do something similar yesterday and ended up with 

0683p000009LzcM.png

0683p000009LzVv.png0683p000009LzMo.pngimage.png

This is still in testing, however there are few points I wanted to share in case it it's of use to anyone 

tRestClient

In the very beginning (before $ issue) it was tRestClient ->TExtractJSON->tOracleOut. Somehow I was getting error and this was not working and then when I changed the accept type from "JSON " to "ANY". Then I started getting the $ issue, this where your suggestion "Try Unchecking - Convert Response to DOM document" helped me. However this option does not appear if the "Accept Type = Any". So I ended up using  Accept Type JSON and unchecked the DOM option, these were the final setting and worked for me

tJavaRow

got the code from internet, First I was using replaceAll() and struggled for some time and then after some looking around ended up on replace().

tJSONExtract

Read By JSON doesn't give required outcome in combination with 'Loop Jsonpath Query'. I did a lot of looking around and most the content I came across ended up suggesting XPath rahter than JSON Path hence ended up using Read By XPath in combination with Loop XPath Query. 

Gourav_King_of_DataLand
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi @rhall@PhilHibbs,

The requirement is to get all the chants from API (one time full data dump) and then import chats on daily basis recursively.

The next thing I help in figuring out is, API returns data in pages and there are 180K pages.

1) How do I extract information from one page and then move to the next one until there is no "next_url". 

2) Once I am done with one time full data dump how do I pull chats and limit it to only current data.

Page 1 gives
{
  "chats": [

all chat related attributes we discussed earlier

],
  "count": 179451,
  "next_url": "next_url_here"

}

Page2 gives

{

],
  "prev_url": "previous_url_here"

}

Page 3 gives ......

Documentation on API

Searchable fields

You can query the following fields:

Field Description Field name

Agent Name agent_names
Visitor Name visitor_name
Visitor Email ID visitor_email
Timestamp timestamp
End Timestamp end_timestamp
Chat Types chat_type; one of offline_msg or chat
Rating rating; one of good or bad
Free Text Not applicable (default)

A combination of two or more queries is also supported.

Example queries

Make sure to url-encode the query string in your code.

Search Query Returns

agent_names:Tom AND visitor_name:Harry Returns chats between agent Tom and visitor Harry
type:chat AND chocolate Returns chats with the term chocolate
visitor_email:john@doe.com AND timestamp:[2014-10-10 TO 2014-12-12] Returns chats with visitor with email ID john@doe.com between 2014-10-10 and 2014-12-12
timestamp:[2014-10-16 TO *] AND chocolate Returns chats that started after 2014-10-16 with chocolate
end_timestamp:[2014-10-25 TO *] AND rating:good Returns chats that ended after 2014-10-25 with good as the chat rating
Gourav_King_of_DataLand
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi @rhall@PhilHibbs,

Need help in Step2. The oroginal requirement is to pull all chat data from API (one time full data dump) and then pull chat on daily basis.The output is spread across 180K pages with each page giving URL to next and previous (except first page which have only 'nex_url' and last page with have only 'prev_url'). How do I modify the job to

1) Pull all data for one time data dump, 180k pages

2) Pull data on daily basis for current day or extract data until the timestamp is current day.

Example output from API

Page 1 gives
{

],

}

Page2 gives

{

],
    "count": 179451
    "prev_url": "previous_url_here"

}

Page 3 gives ......

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you start a new thread for this question please? It is very different to the original one and will likely be quite useful to others in the future. If we answer it here it will just be lost as it doesn't really relate to the subject of this question.