Skip to main content
Announcements
SYSTEM MAINTENANCE: Thurs., Sept. 19, 1 AM ET, Platform will be unavailable for approx. 60 minutes.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sunbaj
Contributor III
Contributor III

Load files in specific sequence

Hi,

I need to load files from a folder in a specific sequence. I might get more than 1 file in a day. So I need to load the file in a specific sequence only in a loop so that the oldest file loads first and the full process id executed and then and then the subsequent files are loaded one by one.

How can I achieve this. tFileList does not specify the sequence. It randomly picks the file in any sequence but I need to load the files in a specific sequence. 

I have loaded the file properties in a table and now I would pull the file name and them loop through it and process it one by one. 

What would be the best way to achieve this.

Thanks

Sunil

Labels (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
billimmer
Creator III
Creator III

Then you are almost there.  Just read your table with a tdbinput component and connect it to a tFlowToIterate.  Then connect an "iterate" to the next step of your job.  The example on this page should help:

https://help.talend.com/reader/wDRBNUuxk629sNcI0dNYaA/WqJCkTE5~5DDaSFvtNXZnQ

Scenario: Transforming data flow to a list

The following scenario describes a Job that reads a list of files from a defined input file, iterates on each of the files and displays their content row by row on the Run console.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
manodwhb
Champion II
Champion II

@sunbaj, you need to leverage the order by and order by action properties in tfilelist basic settings.

sunbaj
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks for the quick response but that would be very risky. Of all the options available I can only order it by modified date but what if for some reason I have the modified date wrong. I would like to sort it by name but that cannot be done as the file name is in the below format Rpt 2 May 2020, Rpt 20 May 2020 etc..

So is there any other way to achieve this.

I have loaded the files in a table and added a column which has the date field so that the file can be sorted by the date but not sure how to pass the file name in the job in a loop using a sql query

billimmer
Creator III
Creator III

Then you are almost there.  Just read your table with a tdbinput component and connect it to a tFlowToIterate.  Then connect an "iterate" to the next step of your job.  The example on this page should help:

https://help.talend.com/reader/wDRBNUuxk629sNcI0dNYaA/WqJCkTE5~5DDaSFvtNXZnQ

Scenario: Transforming data flow to a list

The following scenario describes a Job that reads a list of files from a defined input file, iterates on each of the files and displays their content row by row on the Run console.

sunbaj
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

I tried to implement the way as mentioned above. However not sure why I get the below error. When I copy and paste the path in file explorer the file opens up.

xception in component tFileInputExcel_1 (childjob)
java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Users\su\Desktop\Z\File_To_Process\Revenue 2 Mar 2020 (The system cannot find the file specified)
at java.io.FileInputStream.open0(Native Method)
at java.io.FileInputStream.open(Unknown Source)
at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
at zrr.childjob_0_1.childjob.tDBInput_2Process(childjob.java:3389)
at zrr.childjob_0_1.childjob.runJobInTOS(childjob.java:5074)
at zrr.childjob_0_1.childjob.main(childjob.java:4908)
billimmer
Creator III
Creator III

Does the file exist?  Try the tFileExist.  Is the file found?

"C:\Users\su\Desktop\Z\File_To_Process\Revenue 2 Mar 2020" 

sunbaj
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Yes. File exists. When I copy and paste the path in file explorer it opens that file but in Talend it gives error
sunbaj
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Attaches is the screen shot.

Not sure why the file component fails.

This is the file path that I pass in file and also in tFileExist1

"C:/Users/su/Desktop/Z/File_To_Process/"+((String)globalMap.get("Name_of_File"))

Untitled.png
billimmer
Creator III
Creator III

Add a tJava before the tfileexists with this:

System.out.println("C:/Users/su/Desktop/Z/File_To_Process/"+((String)globalMap.get("Name_of_File")));

What does it show in the console?  Is the path and filename correct?

billimmer
Creator III
Creator III

Also, when using the tFileExist, you connect to your ZRR_FILE with an "if" connector, not a OnComponentOk.  See the tFileExist help.