Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
VNovitskiy
Contributor
Contributor

Metadata from a referenced project

I have tried placing some of the common metadata, like connections and schemas, into a common project that can be referenced by other projects. This gives me a nice one-stop place to maintain metadata without the need to repeating it in every project. However, it seems that the Talend Studio doesn't know how to deal with metadata from a referenced project.

While I can drag and drop referenced metadata items on the canvas, the link between the created item and the reference repository doesn't work. For example, if I try to select edit schema and then update repository connection, I get an error that repository is not available. If I try to select a table schema from a referenced project metadata, nothing gets selected and the schema doesn't get updated. If I try to use a database connection with context, both of which are in a referenced project, the context data is not populated properly.

At this point I'm thinking that using metadata from a referenced project is not currently supported in the Talend Studio. Am I correct, or is there something I'm missing?

Thank you.

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Vyacheslav Novitskiy​, it sounds like a bug, please raise a ticket on Talend Support portal if you haven't submitted it yet. We need to install patch R2021-09 into studio 7.3.1 and make some testing.

Regards

Shong

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

Using metadata from a referenced project is supported in Talend Studio, this is the basic function of reference project. Can you let us know which version of studio are you using?

Regards

Shong

VNovitskiy
Contributor
Contributor
Author

I am using version R2021-09-7.3.1

Here are illustrations of the problems I'm having:

0695b00000L2nwlAAB.jpgThe above picture shows 2 problems - first is the double quotes around context variables for the connection. This doesn't happen if the metadata resides in the current project instead of a referenced one. Second problem is when I try to select a different schema from the repository, after I hit OK, nothing is changed.

0695b00000L2nxtAAB.jpgIn the above picture I am trying to update the existing schema from the repository, using Edit schema button. When I hit OK, I get this:

0695b00000L2nyhAAB.jpgIt seems that the update function failed because the schema came from a referenced project.

I didn't have any issues when working with metadata from current project.

Thank you.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Vyacheslav Novitskiy​, it sounds like a bug, please raise a ticket on Talend Support portal if you haven't submitted it yet. We need to install patch R2021-09 into studio 7.3.1 and make some testing.

Regards

Shong

VNovitskiy
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Update:

Talend Support basically told me that it should work and provided links to limitations, permissions, and examples as they relate to the project references.

I ended up creating a new project, creating a common code reference in it, at which point it seems to work fine. I am thinking that the reason it is not working in the original project is because metadata was originally in it. After copying metadata to a common code project, I deleted it in the original project. Then I created a reference to the common code project, and none of the existing jobs or newly created jobs are able to use the referenced metadata.