Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RMotta2408
Creator II
Creator II

OnPremise - Starting a Job when a file is created on a folder

Hello everyone,

I have developed a Job that uses tWaitForFile to execute a certain flow when a file is created in a predetermined folder. This Job will run permanently, "listening" for an action on a certain folder. No problems here.

I wonder if there is a way to start a Job using TAC, with the same principle: the Job will start as soon as a file is created on a server folder. I wonder if there is some sort of trigger that will cause the Job to start when a file is created on a folder.

I want to avoid having to keep the Job running, waiting for a file. I want the Job to start only when a file is created on a folder as opposed to having the Job running all the time, "listening" for an action on a folder with the tWaitForFile component.

Is this possible? Can anyone help me?

Thank you,
Rui

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Shicong_Hong
Support
Support

Hi

You can add a file trigger on TAC instead of using tWaitForFile component in a job to monitor a server's folder and trigger the task to execute when a file is created, for more details, please see

https://help.talend.com/en-US/administration-center-user-guide/8.0/how-to-add-file-trigger

Let me know if you have any questions.

Regards

Shicong

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Shicong_Hong
Support
Support

Hi

You can add a file trigger on TAC instead of using tWaitForFile component in a job to monitor a server's folder and trigger the task to execute when a file is created, for more details, please see

https://help.talend.com/en-US/administration-center-user-guide/8.0/how-to-add-file-trigger

Let me know if you have any questions.

Regards

Shicong

RMotta2408
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Hi @Shicong_Hong,

Thank you for being so helpful. It sure looks like exactly what I need.

Is it possible to limit the number of Jobs run by this trigger, depending on the number of Jobs already running?
Let's imagine, for a second, the engine resources only allow for 5 Jobs to run simultaneously without hampering their performance.
So, when the trigger starts a Job, it will take this parameter into account so that there are not more than 5 Jobs running simultaneously.
I.e. if 4 Jobs are already running, the trigger will only start 1 Job and the remaining Jobs will be on standby, waiting for any of the running Jobs to finish.

Is this possible?

Rui