Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

PGP/GPG Encryption,Decryption and Masking,unmasking of source data in Talend

Hello,

We have source data as file.

We need to push that file data to AWS S3.

But before loading file to AWS, we need to mask it at field level and then perform PGP/GPG encryption using Talend.

Then again we will perform GPG/PGP Decryption and unmasking from AWS using Talend.

I could not see Masking/Unmasking,(PGP/GPG)Encryption/Decryption components in talend.

Could you please help us how we can perform these activities.

Regards,

Rohit

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Yes, we have tsystem option as well to perform GPG encryption using commands. We have kept this as last option.

I tried few scenarios of masking/unmasking of data using tDatamasking and tDataunmasking and it worked well with few limitations of AES/SHA-2 algorithm.

We will probably use these components only for masking data

Thank you all for your help

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

The great thing about Talend is that you can use ANY third party Java libraries to build that functionality into your jobs yourself. That is a key strength of Talend. So that is a potential route for you there. Build a Talend Routine (essentially a Java class) using a third party PGP/GPG library. Alternatively, people have already built Talend components to do this. Take a look here: https://community.talend.com/t5/Design-and-Development/PGP-encryption-in-Talend-Cloud-Integration/td...

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hello,

Thank you for your quick reply.

Yes, we can make use of Java Libraries. 

I was looking for existing components in talend.

We do have PGP file encrypt component, but there was no PGP decrypt component on talend Exchange.

Same is the case with Masking and unmaking components. I could not find unmasking component in Talend.

Do we have these components already present or i have to write Custom Java code/Batch scripts to do that?

Thank you

Regards,

Rohit

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I am afraid I am not aware of every component that is available in Talend Exchange. However, if there is no component available which will encrypt/decrypt at column level, you can achieve this using a tMap component and a Talend Routine. 

In Talend 7.2 (Subscription Edition) there is a tDataEncrypt and a tDataDecrypt component. These use AES and Blowfish encryption, but not PGP.

Given what I assume about your situation I would create a Routine which uses a third party PGP library, and use that with a tMap component to encrypt and decrypt your column data.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

thank you for your reply.

Looks like i need to use Java code to PGP encrypt my source file.

Let me try this.

-Rohit

iamabhishek
Creator III
Creator III

@londhe849 

Just adding my 2 cents, another way could be install GPG (also known as GnuPG) on your system - to put more clearly install it where your Talend is installed and from where you will be running your jobs. Once GPG is present you could simply use tSystem component to invoke GPG commands.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Yes, we have tsystem option as well to perform GPG encryption using commands. We have kept this as last option.

I tried few scenarios of masking/unmasking of data using tDatamasking and tDataunmasking and it worked well with few limitations of AES/SHA-2 algorithm.

We will probably use these components only for masking data

Thank you all for your help

SGANGULYy
Contributor II
Contributor II

can any one share the routine code