Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Read/Extract Data Mainframe

Hi,
I just wonder how do i wants to extract data from mainframe?
I got the data as text file that do not contain any delimiter? Is there any way Talend can handle this matter?
Plz help me 0683p000009MPcz.png

Rgds,
Kal
Labels (2)
26 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Sabrina,
I give you my sample data picture 1,
and my job picture 2
Regards,
Omie
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi,
Well, it is too small to see........
Best regards
Sabrina
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Sabrina,
Now you can see the image?
Regards,
Omie
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi,
Not yet, can you see it in the forum? Well, you can send me a e-mail with these screenshots, which will be better.
Best regards
Sabrina
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi,
I attached once again the images. Capture1 is output, capture2 is input, and capture3 is the configuration.

Rgds,
Kal
0683p000009MD32.png 0683p000009MDHH.png 0683p000009MDIx.png
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi,
I have noticed that, and please check the "Use Custom Input Encoding" item. The component tchangeFileEncoding will read your system type by default. You need change it into your type "ASCII".
Best regards
Sabrina
0683p000009MDJ2.png
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi,
I also noticed that, these images produced by myself. If you refer to Omie's images, she've done exactly what you asked me to do now, the result still same...just like mine. Also, i've selected to the other type, still got the same output.
Regards,
Kal
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi,
I think we make a misunderstanding on your issue. i have consulted my leader and he said you don't really need to encoding your file but just want to get a readable text. I have known your requirement, using Talend to transfer the source file you got into readable text. Would you give some example, about the readable text? what exactly it look like? or tell us how do you get the source file, so that we can use the related component to help you. I don't think the Encoding is what you need. Because i have said it is the "3.219E+29" in 6#, which is not a readable text. Sorry for the inconvenient.
Best regards
Sabrina
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi,
This file is sample file from user and they said that the data has been retrieve from mainframe and they converted into delimiter file. I require to translate it and load it into target. Readable text means i wants to translate it.
Rgds,
Kal
janhess
Creator II
Creator II

If this is mainframe data you need to know what the original encoding was (EBCDIC?) and what the output encoding is. I don't recognise the output as any obvious encoding. It would be useful if you could get a copy of the original before it was encoded so you know what you're trying to create.
It looks like it's a lot of mainframe fields for numeric data probably 8 characters each. They don't translate directly to text items. I've seen stuff like this years ago but would need to know what the original was to remind me of how to translate it.