Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Split Column Into Multiple Rows

Hello,
   Here's the scenario.  I have a string column which I need to parse(split) into potentially 0 -n parts and make each part a separate output row.  So, for one input row, I may split my string column into 3 peices.  The next row might not have what I'm looking in the string column, thus no output row.  The parsing/splitting is not the problem I'm having trouble with.  I can use the RegEx components or use Java string methods.  It's the dynamic number of parts and forcing a separate output row for each.
Thanks for any help 
Labels (3)
8 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

It sounds like you need to use the tNormalize component. If you place a regular separator in your string (for example a pipe "|" or semicolon ";") then you can use the tNormalize to create a new row for every value separated by that separator.
So......
"1,2,3,4,56,7,8,9" with a separator of "," becomes....
Is that what you are looking for?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

My strings to normalize aren't delimited/formatted as nicely. In the examples, below, I would want just the DataIDs returned.
]
should produce
or I could get

(null list)
but with some extra processing and experimentation, I might be able to make tNormalize work.
Thanks for the suggestion!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

If the String is in the format you have given below and it is consistent, you can use some code like below to put just the IDs into a String with a useful separator.
I am assuming the following is the format....
]
Put the following code into a tJavaRow and it will output a String like below....

String value = input_row.data;
String[] values = value.split("\\[");
String returnVal = "";
for(int i = 0; i<values.length;i++){
   if(values.trim().length()>7){
   values = values.substring(7, values.indexOf(" "));
   returnVal = returnVal + values + ",";
   }
}
output_row.data = returnVal;
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi,
The component you're looking for to perform the Split from Column into Multiple rows is named : tNormalize.
Please see an example into the attached screenshot.
0683p000009MDfS.png
Best Regards
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks rhall !  That's exactly the type of extra processing I was envisioning.
KarthikGs
Creator
Creator

I want to store the output of tnormalise component. So, rather than logging it can i store it as a context variable?
manodwhb
Creator III
Creator III

@KarthikGs,you can store it variables using tSetvariables, or you can load it to table also.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi , 

I have a scenario , which contains comma separated values in 2 cells , I need to normalize both Fields .Like , 

ID Name Product Qty
1 John p1,p2,p3 q1,q2,q3
2 Shane p11,p22,p33 q11,q22,q33

I need the output as :

1 deep p1 q1
1 deep p2 q2
1 deep p3 q3
2 Subha p11 q11
2 Subha p22 q12
2 Subha p33 q13

# I tried with tNormalize ( 2times for Product , Qty Fields) but rows are getting repeated with that.

Please give me a solution for that.

Thanks in advance 0683p000009MACn.png

Regards

Subhadeep