Skip to main content
Announcements
Accelerate Your Success: Fuel your data and AI journey with the right services, delivered by our experts. Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mmctony
Contributor
Contributor

[TOS] Relative paths for files in metadata repository

Hi,

I've tried to add an Excel file to metadata repository using a relative path but it doesn't work. Only absolute ones work.

This is very annoying as all references get broken when sharing items with people running different OSs or just having a different directory structure.

I've found very old posts (9 years ago) about lack of support for relative paths even in jobs (e.g. https://community.talend.com/s/question/0D53p00007vCswHCAS/resolved-how-to-have-a-dynamic-relative-p...)

Any chance to see this fixed after more than 9 years?

Mick

Labels (4)
4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

The Universal Naming Convention (UNC) path notation is not supported. If your source file is on a LAN host, you can first map the network folder into a local drive.

For more information, please refer to this online documentation about: TalendHelpCenter: Centralizing File Delimited metadata

Best regards

Sabrina

mmctony
Contributor
Contributor
Author

I'm speaking about relative paths, not UNC, e.g. "../../dir/../".

And I expect to be able to use paths relative to project directory, not relative to TOS executable.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

Paths Relative to workspace? Windows network shared drive?

With talend open solution, there is no a remote feature in studio, as all the projects are stored in local.

Best regards

Sabrina

mmctony
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Hello Sabrina,

I know TOS stores all files locally.

Also I did this test: I put an Excel file somewhere in my local file system and tried to add it to local metadata repository using a relative path (e.g. "../../../locate_me.xlsx" ). TOS was able to find the file but the path I had to enter was relative to TOS executable, not project directory in the workspace.

So, what I expect is the ability to use paths relative to project directory in the current workspace, e.g. relative to MAS directory in the following screenshot. In this case, ".." will point to parent directory named "Talend".

0695b00000Uw3bVAAR.png 

Thanks,

Mick