Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
datadan25
Contributor
Contributor

Talend Open Studio tSystem behaving different in 7.3.1 vs 8.0

Hi, I have developed a process in TOS 7.3.1 which uses a tSystem component to run a .bat file stored on my computer. The .bat file launches a Putty tunnel.

In Talend 7.3.1, it has worked with no issues. The tSystem component runs the batch file, which in turn runs the Putty.exe. When the .bat file is finished it closes (using 'exit') and the Putty window stays open. Since the .bat file has finished, Talend continues processing downstream components/subjobs as expected.

However, the behavior is not the same in Talend 8.0.1. I imported the same job, but when I run it, the .bat file runs Putty.exe however Talend remains 'stuck' on the tSystem component. I have to actually close the Putty window Talend to continue processing, which is, of course, not acceptable since I need the tunnel to remain open.

I cannot stress enough - The only difference is Talend 7.3.1 and Talend 8 (and presumably the Java version under the hood, as each Talend 7.3 requires Java 8 but Talend 8 requires Java 11). Everything else on my computer has not changed. For what it's worth, I've tried a million things with no success in Talend 8. And this problem is not specific to Putty either, you could launch any .exe from the bat and Talend will NOT continue until the .exe is closed.

Is this a bug in Talend 8? Is there some other workaround? I'm absolutely stuck and this issue with backwards compatibility is a big problem.

Labels (3)
2 Replies
datadan25
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Looking at the difference in the code generated, there is essentially no difference except for the following:

Talend 7.3.1:

Line 15118: normal_tSystem_1.join(10000);

Line 15119: error_tSystem_1.join(10000);

Talend 8.0.1:

Line 18277: normal_tSystem_1.join();

Line 18278: error_tSystem_1.join();

What is the purpose of the 10000 in 7.3.1 and why is that omitted in 8.0.1? Wondering if this is potentially related to the issue I am experiencing?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

Could you please open the error log generated automatically by the Studio to see whether you have error stack trace there; if you do, we will appreciate it a lot if you can paste it here.

About how to open this error log: in your Studio, click Window to open the menu, then select Show View->General->Error Log. Once you see an error, double click it.

Best regards

Sabrina