Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NicolasTT
Contributor
Contributor

java.lang.NullPointerException when setting a 'null' value

Hello,
I am faced with a 'java.lang.NullPointerException' when I set a null value in a (nullable) field a table of my database.
Here's the scenario:
An external source (my tFixedFlowInput in my example) can have a value and then change the value in base, or have no value, and in this case, I set the previous value to the base.
This works, except in the case I have no value in either the external source, or in the database (null and null). In this case, I have a 'java.lang.NullPointerException' on the line corresponding to the value of the field in the TMap:
temp_nva_out_tmp.isOK = !Relational.ISNULL(IN.isOK) ? 1 : temp_nva_in.isOK;

I do not understand how the assignment of the null can generate
'java.lang.NullPointerException'. If I replace temp_nva_in.isOK by 'null', it works correctly.
Thanks for ideas,
Labels (3)
7 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi
It's a rule that you can type null in expression. But if expression get null from a variable, it will cause NPE exception.
Regards,
Pedro
NicolasTT
Contributor
Contributor
Author

My expression is :
!Relational.ISNULL(in.isOK) ? 1 : temp_nva_in.isOK
is the Tmap.
In the java code :
// # Output table : 'temp_nva_out'
temp_nva_out_tmp.uid = in.uid;
temp_nva_out_tmp.isOK = !Relational.ISNULL(in.isOK) ? 1 : temp_nva_in.isOK;
temp_nva_out = temp_nva_out_tmp;
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi
It seems that there are null values in temp_nva_in.isOK.
You can put a tJavaRow between the input component and tMap and type code as follow.
if(input_row.isOk==null)
output_row.isOk = 0;

Regards,
Pedro
NicolasTT
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Thanks,
But I'd like to keep my 'null' value. I don't want to set '0' if it's 'null'.
NicolasTT
Contributor
Contributor
Author

temp_nva_out_tmp.isOK = !Relational.ISNULL(in.isOK) ? new Integer( 1 ) : temp_nva_in.isOK;

works and
temp_nva_out_tmp.isOK = !Relational.ISNULL(in.isOK) ? 1 : temp_nva_in.isOK;

doesn't work.
I don't understand why. Thanks if you could explain me?
Ravivarma_india
Contributor
Contributor

Initial stage of talend every one face a Null pointer exception ​, for TALEND TECH SUPPORT JION https://t.me/talendtechsupport

gjeremy1617088143

Hi, it's due to ternary autoboxing, in the first one it reads the left part as an Integer (it's a wrapper Object wich accept null value) so it will convert temp_nva_in.isOK to Integer

in the second one you set 1 on the left it will read it as an int and convert it as an int(doesn't support null values it's a primitive type) so it throw null pointer exception if temp_nva_in.isOK is null.

you could also write :

temp_nva_out_tmp.isOK = in.isOK != null? new Integer( 1 ) : temp_nva_in.isOK;

Send me Love and Kudos