Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

replace whole string by matching part of it

Hi. I have a set of strings like below.

"helloworldabc"

"o helloworld"

"helloworld+++++"

"helloworld + 3"

"helloworld10"

"polo-world"

"polo-world+"

"polo-world++++++"

"polo-world15"

I want to match all the strings that have substring "helloworld" and replace the whole string by Hello-World without having the numbers, alphabets, symbols before and after. And do the same by matching the strings that have "polo-world" and replace by "Polo-World" along with removing anything before and after polo-world. Can someone suggest a way to do on treplace or tmap?

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TRF
Champion II
Champion II

You may also use a regex to cover the whole case:

(row1.myColumn.replaceAll("^.*helloword.*$", "Hello World")).replaceAll("^.*polo-world.*$", "Polo-World")

Should work.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
fdenis
Master
Master

on tmap.
on the right side you can push … button on filter or on expression.
on Expression builder select String Handling function ereplace
it's what you are looking for.
StringHandling.EREPLACE(row1.col1,"helloworld","Hello-World")
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

@fdenis, it doesn't work. I need to remove anything before and after the words "helloworld"

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

@fdenis, I have to replace the whole string now. EReplace changed only "helloworld" to "Hello-World" but the strings "helloworld++++", "helloworld10", "ohelloworld" etc didn't lose their "+++", "10" and "o"

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

You need to use indexOf() and if the index is greater than -1, replace the whole String. So something like this....

row1.myColumn.indexOf("Hello World")>-1 ? "Hello World" : row1.myColumn

The above can be used practically anywhere and says "If Hello World appears anywhere in my column, set the value I am returning to "Hello World", otherwise return the value that came in the column"

TRF
Champion II
Champion II

You may also use a regex to cover the whole case:

(row1.myColumn.replaceAll("^.*helloword.*$", "Hello World")).replaceAll("^.*polo-world.*$", "Polo-World")

Should work.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

@TRF and @rhall Thanks a lot! Both work well and can use as solutions.

TRF
Champion II
Champion II

You're welcome