Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JBristow
Creator
Creator

tPOP & Microsoft Basic Authentication Retirement

We have a job that extracts emails from an account using the IMAP format - and then we consume those emails and perform some automated processing. We've been notified that the service accounts we use are accessing their mail accounts via Basic Authentication (User Name & Password) - and Microsoft will be retiring Basic Authentication in October of 2022.

Looking at the tPOP component, there are no security options - with the exception of "use SSL" - which we have checked. Thus my assumption is that the component uses Basic Authentication.

Are there any plans to address this - or anyone else who might have a similar issue to extract emails for processing and uses a different approach?

Thanks in advance for any direction/response.

Labels (2)
26 Replies
NAndrade1645029267
Contributor
Contributor

Finally got it working! Thanks so much for your assistance. I really am not too sure what the problem was initially. I basically just started fresh again and got lucky this time. Do you know if any changes have to be made to the SMTP side? We have the SMTP component set as Basic Authentication but if I am reading correctly above - this portion won't be impacted by this Microsoft change?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately Microsoft doesn't support any non-interactive workflow for SMTP protocol. So even if you'd like to you couldn't. (That's the reason we didn't add the Microsoft Exchange dropdown for SendMail) Links for feature requests in the accepted answer.

One could create a routine but likely it will have to print a URL that you need to open in order to have the token generated. I.e. before any e-mail a user interaction is required.

NAndrade1645029267
Contributor
Contributor

Ok thank you for your explanation! I guess we won't be changing anything on that side. We should be OK then if I am understanding correctly.

sla
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I followed the following documentation 

https://help.talend.com/r/en-US/8.0/pop/registering-microsoft-azure-application-for-pop-imap

but when I run my job I get the following error

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: net/minidev/json/JSONAware

at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)

at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)

at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)

at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(Unknown Source)

at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)

at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)

at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)

at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)

at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)

at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)

at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(Unknown Source)

at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)

at com.microsoft.aad.msal4j.ConfidentialClientApplication.initClientAuthentication(ConfidentialClientApplication.java:64)

at com.microsoft.aad.msal4j.ConfidentialClientApplication.<init>(ConfidentialClientApplication.java:58)

at com.microsoft.aad.msal4j.ConfidentialClientApplication.<init>(ConfidentialClientApplication.java:32)

at com.microsoft.aad.msal4j.ConfidentialClientApplication$Builder.build(ConfidentialClientApplication.java:146)

at salesforce.tpop_0_1.tpop.tPOP_1Process(tpop.java:907)

at salesforce.tpop_0_1.tpop.runJobInTOS(tpop.java:2149)

at salesforce.tpop_0_1.tpop.main(tpop.java:1794)

Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: net.minidev.json.JSONAware

... 31 more

What should I do?

i use talend open studio for data integration 7.3.1

NDyer1673451774
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I am just starting to look at converting our jobs across to using OAuth2 as well, did you ever produce a post saying how to obtain the OAuth Access tokens ? I am very new to this area and wouldn't know where to begin as things stand.

Thanks

Nik

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Nik,

I didn't share my routine at the end, and since there's Microsoft Exchange option for tPOP that should work much better than a routine.

For GMail / others I've not created routines.

Documentation: https://help.talend.com/r/en-US/8.0/pop/configuring-an-oauth2-application-for-pop-and-imap

This is how tPOP grabs the access token: https://github.com/Talend/tdi-studio-se/blob/master/main/plugins/org.talend.designer.components.localprovider/components/tPOP/tPOP_begin.javajet#L83-L100

(Exchange is not available for SendMail , we were able to validate oauth with gmail, but there's no direct UI provider for that.)

Anonymous
Not applicable

As many of you still asks from us when will Talend provide Exchange Auth for the tSendMail component I created the following feedback: https://feedbackportal.microsoft.com/feedback/idea/c343ff42-a6ae-ed11-a81b-000d3a0450e3

Maybe by upvoting we can make Microsoft implement it? And once that's done we can add it to the tSendMail component with a monthly release.