Skip to main content
Announcements
See why Qlik is a Leader in the 2024 Gartner® Magic Quadrant™ for Analytics & BI Platforms. Download Now
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gthuiz
Contributor III
Contributor III

QlikSense Map - Michigan and Wisconsin Look Funny

This isn't really a question but more of a comment.  When using the built-in map it seems that Michigan and Wisconsin are displayed funky because of the great lakes.  Maybe this could be addressed in a future update.  Our company is based out of Michigan so my boss is giving me a hard time about our beloved mitten not looking like a mitten.  I realize there's nothing I can do, but thought I'd put this out there.  Thanks!

Screenshot 2021-04-22 160912.jpg

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Patric_Nordstrom
Employee
Employee

Hi,

Yes, that is tricky one, include waters or not. Generally, we tend to favor including boundary sources that creates a complete cover and not leave holes. Many use the dissolve function to create custom boundaries from the built in and then holes doesn't look nice. Even though I agree that Michigan looks nicer as a mitten.

It's always possible to use another source to get look you need, here's an geojson file with the states without water: 

https://github.com/PublicaMundi/MappingAPI/blob/master/data/geojson/us-states.json

Thanks,

Patric

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Patric_Nordstrom
Employee
Employee

Hi,

Yes, that is tricky one, include waters or not. Generally, we tend to favor including boundary sources that creates a complete cover and not leave holes. Many use the dissolve function to create custom boundaries from the built in and then holes doesn't look nice. Even though I agree that Michigan looks nicer as a mitten.

It's always possible to use another source to get look you need, here's an geojson file with the states without water: 

https://github.com/PublicaMundi/MappingAPI/blob/master/data/geojson/us-states.json

Thanks,

Patric

gthuiz
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

I appreciate the reply, and I think this would work well for what I need.  Is there a quick way to point my default map type to this URL?  I don't see any option within the map object, so do I have to edit json code on our server?  

Steven_Haught
Creator III
Creator III

@gthuiz You can also change your base map layer to something like Open Street ( My personal Favorite!)

You need to add a Geoanalytics GeoData  layer, use the following url tile service url input box

='http://a.tile.openstreetmap.org/{z}/{x}/{y}.png'

Source is TMS, set your current map id and boom, there should be mitten Michigan!   

Steven_Haught_0-1619183379230.png

Here is a source of other base layers if you like other maps:

https://community.tibco.com/wiki/geoanalytics-resources

gthuiz
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

I realized that I have mistakenly put this post under GeoAnalytics.  We don't use Qlik GeoAnalytics, and I am just using the basic map in QlikSense.  I realize that what I am trying to do can be accomplished if we upgrade to the GeoAnalytics platform and not with the the basic map extension.  Definitely gained a better understanding of this process/problem so thanks for the help.

Steven_Haught
Creator III
Creator III

@gthuiz You can add a background layer in the normal qlik map by using the TMS and url. 

However, with some testing specific to Michigan, It looks like it still takes away the mitten with an area layer in place.  Certainly Need to use a map layer similar to the one Patric suggested. Not sure if there is a TMS file with that or only the JSON. He can direct more on that! 

Patric_Nordstrom
Employee
Employee

Hi @gthuiz , most customers have access to GeoAnalytics, it's bundled for customers on subscription license.

However, the simplest way is load a file with the states. Download US States.zip, unzip and load the US States.kml in Sense. 

Pick US States.Name as dimension and US States.Area in the location field.

Patric_Nordstrom_0-1619194510002.png

Thanks,

Patric

gthuiz
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks for the help!  I added the table to my model and it works great.  I am doing a drill down with State & City but that didn't seem to matter.  Are there other useful KML files like this that are publicly accessible?  Or was that something internal that you sent me.  Thanks againScreenshot 2021-04-23 133408.jpg