Skip to main content
Announcements
Accelerate Your Success: Fuel your data and AI journey with the right services, delivered by our experts. Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Papademuchos
Creator
Creator

After Upgrade to Talend 8, NullPointerException

I just upgraded to Talend Studio 8. When I open a job and run, I get a null pointer exception (see screenshot below). When I click on Code, it comes up blank.

I've also updated to JDK 11.0.17.

• I've updated my system environment variable to the new JDK folder;
  • I've updated the "Installed JREs" to the new jdk folder under Preferences -> Java
  • I also updated the POMS via Project Settings -> Build -> Maven -> Default -> Project

Any ideas?

0695b00000fIVcaAAG.png

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Papademuchos
Creator
Creator
Author

I figured out my problem with the NPE. These jobs were using Data Mapper to convert to/from EDI. For some reason, after upgrading to Talend Studio 8 all of my HL7 and X12 projects with their structures, etc. went missing. After adding them back in using the Feature Manager the jobs worked again. The NPE was because the job was referencing some of these structures and they weren't there.

0695b00000fIj3oAAC.png

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello

Please upload the log file which is located in <studio installation directory>/workspace/.metadata/. Thanks!

Regards

Shong

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @Torry Slaton​ ,

Regarding to the error log, seems the studio workspace is corrupted, could you please restart the studio using a new workspace to re-try?

0695b00000fIYRkAAO.png

Papademuchos
Creator
Creator
Author

Attached is the log file.

I renamed my old workspace and opened up in a new one and that helped with many of the jobs issues. However, I'm still having this issue of NullPointException on a couple of jobs. The log attached here shows my issue from this morning trying to open / run one of the jobs giving this error.

A few things from the log:

org.talend.commons.exception.CommonExceptionHandler  - Studio can't access the resource from server, please check the resource url.

Does this mean it's being blocked by the machine running Talend?

Thanks for your help.

Papademuchos
Creator
Creator
Author

I figured out my problem with the NPE. These jobs were using Data Mapper to convert to/from EDI. For some reason, after upgrading to Talend Studio 8 all of my HL7 and X12 projects with their structures, etc. went missing. After adding them back in using the Feature Manager the jobs worked again. The NPE was because the job was referencing some of these structures and they weren't there.

0695b00000fIj3oAAC.png

jlolling_kloeckner
Contributor
Contributor

To make it clear, a NullPointerException actually means, the developer writing this code is a leazy developer and does not care about the users of the code!