Skip to main content
Announcements
SYSTEM MAINTENANCE: Thurs., Sept. 19, 1 AM ET, Platform will be unavailable for approx. 60 minutes.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Edboehm
Contributor
Contributor

Different versions of Oracle DB results in ORA-28040: No matching authentication protocol

In Talend Open Studio for Data Integration 7.3.1 encounter the error:

ORA-28040: No matching authentication protocol

when 2 oracle connections are made in same job but with different Oracle versions (9 and 12).

When single DB connection in parent job is Oracle 12 and child job DB connection is Oracle 9, then when starting the parent job the triggered child job can pull records from source Oracle 9 however columns are empty. However when only the child job runs (so directly, without being triggered by parent job), columns have data.

Looks like this is exactly what is explained here:

https://community.talend.com/s/article/Using-different-versions-of-Oracle-DB-in-the-same-Job-results-in-an-ORA-No-matching-authentication-protocol-error-W9kjF

But it is unclear to me how to fix this in 7.3.1. My question is if someone can please advice what has to be done where with the ojdbc14.jar (or any other jdbc jar) file to fix the issue when using TOS 7.3.1?

Thanks

Labels (2)
4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

In Oracle v12.1, the SQLNET.ALLOWED_LOGON_VERSION parameter default value has been updated to 11. This means that database clients using pre-11g JDBC thin drivers cannot authenticate to 12.1 database servers unless the SQLNET.ALLOWED_LOGON_VERSION parameter is set to the old default of 8.

This will cause a 10.2.0.5 Oracle RAC database creation using DBCA to fail with the ORA-28040: No matching authentication protocol error in 12.1 Oracle ASM and Oracle Grid Infrastructure environments.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

At a first step, could you please clarify what's JDK version are you using in Talend Open Studio for Data Integration 7.3.?

Best regards

Sabrina

Edboehm
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Hi,

It is not feasible to change the DB parameters in both Oracle 12 nor 9 in this situation, we have no control over that.

JDK 8u251 is used in TOS 7.3. No option yet to install a newer JDK.

For now I applied a workaround. One job reads the data from Oracle 9 and saves that in a flat file on the Linux server. Second job reads the same flat file and stores the data in Oracle 12.

For now I can proceed via this work around.

Thanks for thinking along,

Ed

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

Thanks for sharing your solution with us.

Feel free to let us know if there is any issue.

Best regards

Sabrina