Skip to main content
Announcements
Accelerate Your Success: Fuel your data and AI journey with the right services, delivered by our experts. Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is SVN required for remote connection and projects?

Hi, I'm new to Talend and using 4.2.2. I did a successful local windows installation on my desktop, without using SVN, but we have now installed it on a Unix server and I'm trying to connect and create projects, and, if it works, remove the local installation. As I'll be the only developer and we are still testing and need to get a demo out quickly I didn't really want to get into SVN just yet so didn't install that.
However, although I'm set up as a user with full rights, including admin and designer, I can't create projects. I've tried it from both ends client and TAC.
From the TAC end, in Add a project, without clicking the advanced tickbox I get http://localhost/svn/MYPROJECT is not a valid URL (where MYPROJECT is the project name). Replacing localhost with the IP address, removing /svn/ etc still fails
From the client end, I can create new projects using the local connection, but with the remote connection, although it's happy with the connection URL and the user details (email, password etc), when I try to create it again says http://localhost/svn/SANDBOX is not a valid URL and I can't edit this one. The manual says that sandbox projects create the user and the project and are only possible where the user doesn't exist, but it does.
The client executable is the same one as I installed from the original local window installation - using client installation. Does that matter? I can't see how else i would install a windows client - it would have to be locally, I assume, and you are supposed to be able to switch between local and remote. They are both 4.2.2 and their installations are based on the same licence file.
Any help gratefully received.
Thanks.
Labels (3)
4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi
According to what you say, you didn't deploy svn and tac correctly.
Step 1: Start SVN server. Right Click on Repositories->Create New Repository.
Step 2: Right Click on the new created Repository->Copy URL to Clipboard.
Step 3: Open TAC->Configuration->SVN. Paste the URL into "Sever Location Url". Set Username and Password correctly.
Step 4: Add a project in TAC. This time the advanced tickbox will be filled automatically.
Step 5: Authorize this project with user.
Regards,
Pedro
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Many thanks Pedro. So I did need an SVN server for remote working after all. OK, so I've got it all set up, created projects, done the authorisation etc. I'm not used to SVN at all, but I have a project with a trunk in SVN and can access it OK securitywise in the TAC and studio.
However, in the studio I can't create jobs etc. When i select the project from the studio and go into the designer, I don't get all the right-click options - can't create a job, duplicate it, delete it etc. I can create a job as I launch it, but not after that, and can't right click to create any metadata or anything. Seems to be behaving in a read-only manner.
In TAC I'm logging in as the same user, which has all 4 rights, including adminstrator and designer. I set the SVN in the configuraation, changed the user to set the SVN details and created a project, and tested the svn connection OK. When I created the project it automatically added it to the user under project authorisations, but the right click options Delete, Toggle read only and Toggle read/write show up but don't work.
The only thing I can think of is that that the user email id and password (based on my name, jackie) are the same as I used in my local project with a local installation but the firstname and lastname are different. For the local project they were admin admin, but for the remote one I have a seperate admistrator only user with admin admin and the jackie user has my real firstname and lastname. Should I do a seperate Studio install with the new first and lastname, or is there some other problem?
I can't see any thing in the manuals to explain this, apart from saying you only get r access if you don't had admin rights, but I do. Any advice gratefully received. Thanks
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi
According to what you say, the user which you create in TAC must be a viewer role.
Do not set a user with four roles. Just modify user as "Operation manager" and "Designer".
I guess you must be a trade version user. You can get more help with our Support Team.
They will email you some documents about TAC and JobServer.
Regards,
Pedro
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Many thanks Pedro. Yes we have bought the full version and I will check with the support team. I'll also remove the viewer role. I have managed to solve the issue temporarily, for our rushed job, by creating a sandbox project which forced the creation of a user and project. I can see that the permissions are assigned correctly for that, so I can now create jobs and import others.
Thanks for your help which has allowed me to get started when under pressure!
Jackie