Skip to main content
Announcements
Accelerate Your Success: Fuel your data and AI journey with the right services, delivered by our experts. Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mwindsch
Contributor
Contributor

Java was started but returned exit code=1 / code=13

Hi,

I wanted to install/run Open Talend for Data Migration on an ne PC (Windows 10 64bit).

I downloaded the Version TOS_DI-Win32-20180116_1512-V6.5.1 and TOS_DI-20180116_1512-V6.5.1.

I also installed Java jre1.8.0_161 and jdk1.8.0_161 (Install Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Java)

After starting Talend (TOS_DI-win-x86_64.exe  or  TOS_DI-win-x86_64.exe) I always get the Message:

Java was started but returned exit code=1

Then I red some Messages in the community and found something about the Environment variables.

So I added a new variable in the System Level Environment variable

0683p000009Ls3P.jpg

and also in the variable Path in the user variable

0683p000009Ls7a.jpg

0683p000009Ls4B.jpg

After that testing Talend nothing changed. Still the same Problem:

Then I went to the parent Folder of Talend (C:\Talend\TOS_DI-Win32-20180116_1512-V6.5.1) and opened the ini file (TOS_DI-win-x86_64.ini).

The Content of the ini-file:

-vmargs
-Xms512m
-Xmx1536m
-Dfile.encoding=UTF-8
-Dosgi.requiredJavaVersion=1.8
-XX:+UseG1GC
-XX:+UseStringDeduplication

I added this row to the ini-file:

-vm C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.8.0_161\jre\bin\server\jvm.dll

After that I started Talend again and got this message:

Java was started but returned exit code=1  / code=13

Now I have no idea what I can do to solve my Problem.

Do I have the wrong Java versions?

Is something wrong with the new variables or ini-file Adaptation?

Whats my fault/faults?

What can/must I do, that Talend runs?

Labels (2)
12 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

Could you please check the java version by typing java - version in cmd to see if your java environment is set correctly?

Ensure proper version of JDK is installed. For v6 of Talend products JDKv1.8 is required instead of JRE. If that requirement is met, ensure JDK bin is included in your PATH environment variable and is being reached.

Note: TOS_DI-win-x86_64.exe is used for 64 bit OS.

Best regards

Sabrina

Anonymous
Not applicable

Talend runs on top of Eclipse, and this is an Eclipse error message. This page may help you resolve it: http://troubleshooter.xyz/wiki/fix-java-was-started-but-returned-exit-code-1/
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had the error:

I installed the java package found in this link and the install worked no problem. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jamman wrote:  diebestetest

I had the error:

I installed the java package found in this link and the install worked no problem. 

If that requirement is met, ensure JDK bin is included in your PATH environment variable and is being reached.

Note: TOS_DI-win-x86_64.exe is used for 64 bit OS.

Best regards

Anonymous
Not applicable

You can follow two sections:
1. The first sections: You make sure that your path in JDK and JRE is similar to these files' locations.
By right-click on Your computer shortcut -> check advanced systems.
2. You follow this fixing:
https://troubleshooter.xyz/wiki/fix-java-was-started-but-returned-exit-code-1/

I think the error will be resolved!

1.png
pdmstudios
Contributor
Contributor

Did anyone solve this? I'm having the same issue.

HariMukunda
Contributor
Contributor

I had similar issue wherein I had created a Environment variable with new "System variables

as "JAVA_HOME" and used it in Path variable. Post which when I tried opening Talend it was giving me Java error with Return code = 1.

In order to resolve this I tried below:

1. Made sure JDK latest version is installed. In my case the latest version "JDK-14.0.2" which was installed in below location "C:\Program Files\Java\jdf-14.0.2\"
  2. Removed all newly created system variables like "JAVA_HOME".
  3. Under "System Variables" -> "Path" Variable added the path where JDK was installed. i.e. C:\Program Files\Java\jdf-14.0.2\bin". Then click on Ok" button thrice to completely come out of it.
  4. Once I did this and tried to open the Talend_***.exe file. It opened without any issues.

Hope this helps.

jud1yian
Contributor
Contributor

I am also having similar issue using the facility. I have tried to resolve this issue, but I have not succeeded yet! Any help will be appreciated.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

What's JDK version are you using? On which talend build version you got this issue? More information will be helpful for us to address your issue.

Best regards

Sabrina