Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
YPMAL
Contributor III
Contributor III

log 4j bug CVE-2021-44228- Urgently need to update log4j libraries for deployed jobs from talend 6.2.1

Hi,

We are using Talend 6.2.1 20160704_1411 version of talend running on our local servers.

As precautionary measure we need to update log4j library to avoid recent exploit named as CVE-2021-44228.

Can anyone tell me what measure can be taken to update log4j to

Log4j 2.15.0 or apply the recommended mitigations immediately ?

79 Replies
paula11
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hi,

we use artifakt-repository nexus for Talend-Jobs. To mitigate the risk, we add the option (-Dlog4j2.formatMsgNoLookups=true) in the

%talend%/tac/Artifact-Repository-Nexus-3.x.x-01-win64\nexus-3.x.x-01\bin - nexus.vmoptions file.

After restart in nexus (Website) --> Systemstatus --> System Information --> (scroll down to system-properties) this Parameter appears.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello All,

Here comes new update in this response:

Publication Date: 12/16/2021

https://www.talend.com/security/incident-response/

If you have any further questions about this issue, please feel free to contact our support team.

Best regards

Sabrina

Anonymous
Not applicable

https://www.talend.com/security/incident-response/Talend is working to identify all modules in Talend affected and is working on a permanent solution. We should be able to provide your team with an official in-depth update in the coming days on the status of this issue.

One important note, Talend Cloud has been mitigated, along with all apps inside of itself (TMC, TDS/TDP, TDI, etc) and thus not affected by this CVE.

For a detailed list of affected products and the suggested mitigation steps, please visit https://www.talend.com/security/incident-response/

Fernandez
Creator II
Creator II

I'm using Talend Open Studio Data Integration.

Log4j is inactive in (in File > Edit Project Properties > Log4j).

But indeed the log4j librairies (log4j-api-2.12.1.jar / log4j-core-2.12.1.jar / log4j-slf4j-impl-2.12.1.jar) are embedded in the job build.

I just have to delete them from the servers where jobs are deployed ?

There will have no impact to jobs working ?

MPT
Contributor III
Contributor III

Even if Talend would say that there is no impact, I would still test it to be sure.

Si4
Contributor II
Contributor II

So I have a bunch of standalone Studio jobs. This is what I did to update them.

(1) Added the latest apache log4j release files to the /lib directory and deleted the older versions.

(2) Edited the launch script ( .bat .sh whatever you are using )

• replace any log4j v2 calls to the latest 2.17.0 version
  • replace any log4j v1 calls to the API redirectory ( log4j-1.2-api-2.17.0.jar ) and add the core and api files from 2.17.0 - this lets the v1 calls redirect to the latest 2.x

And that's it - tested all jobs and updated.

Yes it is messy but I scripted this ...

Fernandez
Creator II
Creator II

Hi Jean-François,

Did you get the answer to your question ?

I'm using also Talend Open Studio version 7.3.1 and Log4j is disabled in project settings.

But indeed the log4j librairies are embedded in the job build, I don't know why.

If Log4j is disabled in project settings, do we have only to delete log4j librairies in the job build ?

Thanks in advance

Jean-François
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

No I didn't. But we are going to do what you explain in your post using a daily script to remove the librairies from all our jobs.

Regards

Fernandez
Creator II
Creator II

Hi Si,

Do you have Log4j active in (in File > Edit Project Properties > Log4j) ?

If not, is it really useful to update librairies and scripts ?

Regards,

Fernandez
Creator II
Creator II

Hi Si,

It doesn't work for me.

In the .bat I'm calling today the librairies below:

• log4j-1.2.17.jar
  • log4j-to-slf4j-2.12.1.jar
  • slf4j-log4j12-1.7.25.jar

But I found only the new library below:

• log4j-to-slf4j-2.17.0.jar