Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
petrus
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

Qlik Cloud backup options - best way?

Hello all,

I know that there are several similiar topics, but too specific with no big picture included 🙂 I wanted to summarize here and verify with you all possible backup options of Qlik Cloud platform. As far as I know there is no native backup from Qlik side and once someone will remove space/app/qaa/datafile/dc by accident, there is no way how to restore it using Qlik support (there is probably some, but not official and if so I suppose it will be extra paid service).

I have several options on my mind and I would like to hear your opinion or experience so far:

1. Manually and regurarly download content (non sense, too much work)
  2. Use Qlik CLI to export all apps as json files + folders as space + other objects as json? 
  3. Use QAA and backup apps to Github as json files + folders as spaces + others if possible? (some version here)
    1. Not ideal case for Github version control logic
  4. Use some paid external 3rd party tools (products from Motio etc.)

But what I miss in all mentioned solution is to be able to save also configuration of following items (not only apps):

• spaces - members + permissions
  • datafiles - reside in spaces
  • data connections - reside in spaces
  • QAA's - reside in personal space

As there is API utilization possibility within QAA/Qlik CLI there is a chance to cover this portfolio at least partially, but not all mentioned areas can be covered as endpoints are limited and does not contain the content itself, just some metadata of items.

Any idea how to make backups with as much items as possible with reasonable solution?

Regards

petrus

Labels (1)
  • Cloud

3 Replies
Andrew_Roy
Support
Support

To address QAA, you can manually export automations to a JSON file: Go to the automation editor, right-click in the blank canvas, and click "Download workspace".

To offer an opinion, and in the spirit of making data available to everyone, each app developer would be wise to download their own app .qvf files to a local personal backup if they have invested significant time on them, and if this is appropriate. This could save admin work, or be very helpful if an app is accidentally deleted. However, keep in mind that part of the concept of Cloud SaaS is that tenant backup and disaster recovery is managed by Qlik and the system.

Dalton_Ruer
Support
Support

There are some partners who offer solutions. In my Dork Cast 30 I do a deep dive with the team from Stretch Connect to talk about their Qloud Cover solution which indeed does backup spaces, data files, automations, connections, extensions etc. They've got you covered. https://youtu.be/4E-JUDuMRCA

jonathanhvid
Partner - Contributor III
Partner - Contributor III

Thank you for highlighting Qloud Cover, Dalton. Great video on his podcast for anyone interested!

To get in touch and setting up a free trial of Qloud Cover Backup, please go to: Qloud Cover Backup