Skip to main content
Announcements
July 15, NEW Customer Portal: Initial launch will improve how you submit Support Cases. IMPORTANT DETAILS
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alwynkfinal2
Contributor III
Contributor III

Why am I locked out of all apps after using Cloud Deployment Function to move Qlik Enterprise apps to Qlik Cloud

So the move to Qlik SaaS is proving to be extremely challenging.

We used the Cloud Deplyoment Function to move a lot of our Qlik Enterprise apps to Qlik Cloud, which the system forced to be published in managed spaces.

However, the kicker is two fold.

1. The app owner field is empty when using qlik deployment.
2. You can't duplicate apps out of the managed space.

alwynkfinal2_1-1671088621847.png

So you can't access your own apps, that you created, once they are in a managed space. It's like a graveyard for an app.

So I noticed a suggestion by a Qlik employee in a post on how to use powershell and the qlik API to move that app into your personal space. The first thought is that a multi-million dollar company suggest their users use a "hack" to get access to their own apps, something which should obviously be a built-in feature like it was with Qlik Enterprise.

Qlik-Sense-Enterprise-SaaS-Unpublish-an-app-with-the-REST-API 

I then decided to stop the cynicism and use the "hack" and I finally got the app from a managed space to the personal space. Unfortunately, I can't edit it because I'm not the owner, despite being the only developer with a bunch of analysers.

Other2.png

Can't duplicate or editCan't duplicate or edit

I then relented and copied the apps from my Qlik Enterprise server onto my desktop to upload them into Qlik. Unfortunately, I get an error - an error which has no log. I then took a suggestion from a post to check the engine logs in the management console - which has no indication on why the apps are erroring (they are very small apps, not too big, not too complex, just right).

alwynkfinal2_0-1671088582837.png

So what now Qlik?

Labels (1)
  • Cloud

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Daniele_Purrone
Support
Support

Hi @alwynkfinal2 , it looks like there was a misunderstanding here.

If you published the apps from a Windows version of Qlik Sense to the cloud, this is the expected behaviour. The apps get published to the Cloud as "staged" and then they can be moved to a managed space.

But this is not a way of just uploading apps to a tenant and being able to fully manage them there.

When using the Cloud deployment from Qlik Sense Enterprise for Window, you still manage the apps on the on-premise version of the product. In this case the Cloud is only a front-end for end users to consume the apps in the managed space the app gets assigned to, not to edit the app in the cloud. This is a hybrid setup, where the client-managed version of Qlik Sense Enterprise rules over the Cloud.

If you want to fully migrate an app to the Cloud and manage them and edit them there, you will need to upload them manually via the hub, or (if you want to automate things) you can write a script that for the Qlik-cli using the app import command

Please note that the Qlik-cli is not a "hack", but a fully supported power-tool that allows you to script and automate operations. As said, you don't need to use in this case, you can just upload the apps manually to the hub.
I hope this helps, please let us know if something is not clear!

Daniele - Principal Technical Support Engineer & SaaS Support Coordinator at Qlik
If a post helps to resolve your issue, please accept it as a Solution.

View solution in original post

Marcus_Spitzmiller

I'll add too that there are some pre-built scripts to help with this automation found here: https://help.qlik.com/en-US/migration/Content/Migration/Qlik-migration-playbook.htm.

Agreed that the hybrid approach is not intended to facilitate migration.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Ivan_Bozov
Luminary
Luminary

Some suggestions:

1) To be in a managed space, the app should also be available in a personal or a shared space. Are you sure there is no shared space where all migrated apps ended up?

2) Since you managed to move some apps to the personal space, you can try changing the owner: https://help.qlik.com/en-US/cloud-services/Subsystems/Hub/Content/Sense_Hub/Apps/change-app-owner.ht... 

3) To avoid the upload error, try creating a new shared space and upload the QVFs there. Rename the QVFs before uploading.

vizmind.eu
Daniele_Purrone
Support
Support

Hi @alwynkfinal2 , it looks like there was a misunderstanding here.

If you published the apps from a Windows version of Qlik Sense to the cloud, this is the expected behaviour. The apps get published to the Cloud as "staged" and then they can be moved to a managed space.

But this is not a way of just uploading apps to a tenant and being able to fully manage them there.

When using the Cloud deployment from Qlik Sense Enterprise for Window, you still manage the apps on the on-premise version of the product. In this case the Cloud is only a front-end for end users to consume the apps in the managed space the app gets assigned to, not to edit the app in the cloud. This is a hybrid setup, where the client-managed version of Qlik Sense Enterprise rules over the Cloud.

If you want to fully migrate an app to the Cloud and manage them and edit them there, you will need to upload them manually via the hub, or (if you want to automate things) you can write a script that for the Qlik-cli using the app import command

Please note that the Qlik-cli is not a "hack", but a fully supported power-tool that allows you to script and automate operations. As said, you don't need to use in this case, you can just upload the apps manually to the hub.
I hope this helps, please let us know if something is not clear!

Daniele - Principal Technical Support Engineer & SaaS Support Coordinator at Qlik
If a post helps to resolve your issue, please accept it as a Solution.
Marcus_Spitzmiller

I'll add too that there are some pre-built scripts to help with this automation found here: https://help.qlik.com/en-US/migration/Content/Migration/Qlik-migration-playbook.htm.

Agreed that the hybrid approach is not intended to facilitate migration.

alwynkfinal2
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks for the response Daniele - will look into CLI then. There must be some technical reason as to why the product team didn't build the hybrid setup with migration in mind - it seems like unnecessary complexity to have to use a developer tool for something which should be a normal feature.

alwynkfinal2
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Excellent - thanks Marcus, this is extremely helpful.