cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
federerman
Contributor III
Contributor III

Abort Command

It appears QlikSense does not have a simple way to abort the script AND show the run as a failure.  I come from a SAS background and in that language, there was a command called ABORT.  this would terminate the script and throw an error so it was very obvious the run was a failure.  Without this functionality, a scheduled task could terminate early due to an exit script call, but the task status would be success.

I derived a work around solution below, but would love if something like this were native to the qlik script language 🙂

/**********/
/* Abort. */
/**********/

/*

Created: 20190201 - Kenneth Krehbiel
Modified:

This sub is used to terminate a qlik script and intentionally throw an error.
Using exit script alone will kill the script, but not show the run as a failure.
Thus you could easily miss a bad run via the qmc...

Note that the command is a direct ripoff of the SAS command ABORT...

*/

Sub Abort(AbortMessage);
Trace
******************** ERROR! ********************
$(AbortMessage)
Exiting Script...
******************** ERROR! ********************;
intentional error - see message above for details;
Exit Script;
End Sub;

2 Replies
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

You are correct there is no native exit with error command.  Traditionally what we have done is just put the message as a statement, which will be invalid and generate an error. 

$(AbortMessage)

or 

Terminating due to missing file.

-Rob

federerman
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Rob,

Thanks for your reply!  I like both those methods you provided.  Though I still think having an explicit command like ABORT would be a nice feature in some future version of Qlik.  Just helps new users if they are familiar with other programming languages.

-Ken