Skip to main content
Announcements
SYSTEM MAINTENANCE: Thurs., Sept. 19, 1 AM ET, Platform will be unavailable for approx. 60 minutes.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LouisLouis
Contributor
Contributor

Adding a Paywall to a QLIK data analytics dashboard

I have recently completed phase one of a project to provide data analytics to internal teams and their external customers.  We are providing those customers with the data free of charge - or rather, included in the price of the other services they purchase from us.  

I now want to develop phase two of the project, which will provide more detailed analytics and insights.  I want this to be available via a 'Pro' level of the data dashboard, for which external customers will pay a subscription.  The basic version will remain free.  How do I integrate a paywall into the QLIK environment to do this?

Qlik Sense Business 

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Sayed_Mannan
Creator II
Creator II

Qlik doesn't have inbuilt paywall.

To integrate a paywall into the Qlik environment, you would need to create a system that interacts with both your Qlik application and a third-party paywall service. Here’s a more detailed breakdown of the steps:

1. Select a Paywall Service: Choose a third-party paywall service that provides an API for checking user subscription status. This service will handle payment processing and subscription management.

2. Implement User Authentication: If not already in place, implement a user authentication system in your Qlik application. This system should be able to identify users and store their subscription status.

3. Create a Middleware Application: Develop a middleware application that interacts with both your Qlik application and the paywall service. This application will handle requests from your Qlik application, check the subscription status of users via the paywall service, and return the appropriate response.

4. Modify Your Qlik Application: Modify your Qlik application to send a request to the middleware application whenever a user tries to access the ‘Pro’ level of the dashboard. The middleware application will check the user’s subscription status and either allow access to the ‘Pro’ level or redirect the user to the paywall service to purchase a subscription.

5. Update Subscription Status: When a user purchases a subscription, the paywall service should notify your middleware application, which will then update the user’s subscription status in your user authentication system.

6. Secure Your Application: Ensure that all communication between your Qlik application, the middleware application, and the paywall service is secure to protect your user data.

This solution requires a fair amount of development work and a good understanding of web development and Qlik. I hope this helps.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Sayed_Mannan
Creator II
Creator II

Qlik doesn't have inbuilt paywall.

To integrate a paywall into the Qlik environment, you would need to create a system that interacts with both your Qlik application and a third-party paywall service. Here’s a more detailed breakdown of the steps:

1. Select a Paywall Service: Choose a third-party paywall service that provides an API for checking user subscription status. This service will handle payment processing and subscription management.

2. Implement User Authentication: If not already in place, implement a user authentication system in your Qlik application. This system should be able to identify users and store their subscription status.

3. Create a Middleware Application: Develop a middleware application that interacts with both your Qlik application and the paywall service. This application will handle requests from your Qlik application, check the subscription status of users via the paywall service, and return the appropriate response.

4. Modify Your Qlik Application: Modify your Qlik application to send a request to the middleware application whenever a user tries to access the ‘Pro’ level of the dashboard. The middleware application will check the user’s subscription status and either allow access to the ‘Pro’ level or redirect the user to the paywall service to purchase a subscription.

5. Update Subscription Status: When a user purchases a subscription, the paywall service should notify your middleware application, which will then update the user’s subscription status in your user authentication system.

6. Secure Your Application: Ensure that all communication between your Qlik application, the middleware application, and the paywall service is secure to protect your user data.

This solution requires a fair amount of development work and a good understanding of web development and Qlik. I hope this helps.

LouisLouis
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Many thanks for the detailed reply, that's really useful.  I'll build it into the high level spec doc I'm currently writing so we can allocate the right resources and coding expertise to the solution.

Daniele_Purrone
Support
Support

Hi @LouisLouis , 
@Sayed_Mannan gave you a great answer. You can also consider suggesting an idea, requesting a feature to our product team. It won't probably help you right now, but it might be good for the future.

Daniele - Principal Technical Support Engineer & SaaS Support Coordinator at Qlik
If a post helps to resolve your issue, please accept it as a Solution.