Skip to main content
Announcements
SYSTEM MAINTENANCE: Thurs., Sept. 19, 1 AM ET, Platform will be unavailable for approx. 60 minutes.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jason_KKA
Contributor II
Contributor II

Auto-Switching of Axis in Line Chart

Hello there,

Wanna ask if anyone encountered this phenomenon when developing a line chart. 

I have a time series line chart like this, with the temporal dimension on the x-axis and the measure on the y axis. In first picture below, the time series dimension is at month level.

Jason_KKA_1-1654047783350.png

However, when I change the temporal dimension to a more granular level, which in the picture below is at date level, Qlik Sense automatically inverts the x and y axis. The temporal dimension is now on the y-axis and measure is on the x-axis. This is not intuitive for some users as the orientation is inconsistent and they prefer to see a fixed regular configuration.

Jason_KKA_0-1654047621926.png

I tried searching through the appearance settings but couldn't find any relevant which will allow me to fix the axis. Is there any way to fix the axis dimensions to prevent the auto-switching?  

Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi @Jason_KKA 

That's certainly an odd one!

One thing I have seen in the past is some weird behaviour when a chart has been converted from one type to another. What I would suggest is creating the chart again from scratch and see if it behaves the same in the new chart.

It may also be that the properties are set different on the different alternate dimensions. Check the presentation properties when you have each combination of alternate items selected:

stevedark_0-1654078124763.png

Hope that helps.

Steve

View solution in original post

3 Replies
stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi @Jason_KKA 

That's certainly an odd one!

One thing I have seen in the past is some weird behaviour when a chart has been converted from one type to another. What I would suggest is creating the chart again from scratch and see if it behaves the same in the new chart.

It may also be that the properties are set different on the different alternate dimensions. Check the presentation properties when you have each combination of alternate items selected:

stevedark_0-1654078124763.png

Hope that helps.

Steve

Jason_KKA
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

@stevedark ,

Yes, that is exactly what happened; I converted the line chart from a bar chart I did previously. However, it is unlikely to be due to the alternate dimension settings as I had standardised all of them.

Re-creating one from scratch works; the previous phenomenon did not appear. Many thanks for the solution.!

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

HI @Jason_KKA 

No worries. It had caught me out before when converting charts.

Thanks for marking the solution - this really helps other Community members.

Cheers,
Steve