cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Miles_Dyson
Contributor III
Contributor III

Autogenerate() Rows from Field Values vs. Variable/Function Values

Hello Qlik World. I am having a hard time understanding one aspect of the Autogenerate function. I have created 3 scenarios to demonstrate the question.

Scenario 1: Autogenerate works

Miles_Dyson_0-1717364268934.png

Scenario 2: Autogenerate works

Miles_Dyson_1-1717364347075.png

Scenario 3: Autogenerate returns an error

Miles_Dyson_2-1717364425180.png

Here is the error message

Miles_Dyson_3-1717364488867.png

So my question is why does Autogenerate return an error code in the 3rd example stating field not found when the field is specified in the preceding INLINE table?

Lastly, I also would like to learn why all these scenarios run properly when the Autogenerate fx line is commented out (even the 3rd scenario). Does this mean that the Autogenerate fx is optional when we only want to generate 1 record for each iteration?

Thank you folks.

Labels (4)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MeehyeOh
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Hi, @Miles_Dyson 

As I know,

1. Autogenerate is used if data should be automatically generated by Qlik Sense.
There are the following points to note.
"The field list must not contain expressions which require data from an external data source or a previously loaded table, unless you refer to a single field value in a previously loaded table with the Peek function."

Therefore, Autogenerate cannot be used with 'Resident', 'From', or 'precording load'.

The third scenario you posted failed because you used "Autogenerate" with the preceded load data field.

2. "Autogenerate" is not optional when generate 1 record for each iteration.
It's only necessary when generate new data in "Qlik Sense".

View solution in original post

2 Replies
MeehyeOh
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Hi, @Miles_Dyson 

As I know,

1. Autogenerate is used if data should be automatically generated by Qlik Sense.
There are the following points to note.
"The field list must not contain expressions which require data from an external data source or a previously loaded table, unless you refer to a single field value in a previously loaded table with the Peek function."

Therefore, Autogenerate cannot be used with 'Resident', 'From', or 'precording load'.

The third scenario you posted failed because you used "Autogenerate" with the preceded load data field.

2. "Autogenerate" is not optional when generate 1 record for each iteration.
It's only necessary when generate new data in "Qlik Sense".

Miles_Dyson
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thank you MeehyeOh,

Your explanation makes everything clear.