Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kdaniels-obrien
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Bar graphs: Using continuous scale and specifying bar width

Hi All, 

I am using a bar graph as an hour by hour chart.  I want to show the sum of two measures at each hour of the day.  It was a struggle to get a proper x-axis and I ended up using the continuous scale setting so that I could create a pretty axis.  Everything looks great except for the width of the bars. The bars are very thin and I would like them to be wider so they look better for the user.  I know that there is a setting under Presentation>Styling>Bar Width but that option is not there for me; I can only change outline width.  I have attached a picture of the graph and the settings I am using.  

I would preferably like to find a way to set the width of the bars to a certain size or even have it change dynamically as I select smaller and smaller date ranges. Either option would be a better looking visualization.  Is there a script one can write to specify bar width on a visualization? Is there an extension that I can use a continuous scale and get thicker bars? Other options out there? Has anyone heard of displaying an hour by hour chart in a better way using another kind of chart? 

Thank you so so much in advance! Hoping someone can help out! 🙂 

HbyH.PNG

settings2.PNG

settings1.PNG

settings3.PNG

4 Replies
UserID2626
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Try changing the  X-axis properties in Appearance

Image.JPG

jamshed07
Partner - Contributor III
Partner - Contributor III

just uncheck Use Continuous Scale checkbox

cosmocracy
Contributor
Contributor

I'm also in the OP's situation--I'd like to use a continuous X-axis scale but my bars are being rendered as thin slivers.  The example screenshot above still uses a discrete (vs. continuous) axis...it's set for "Auto" not continuous. The "number of bars" option doesn't appear unless it's in discrete mode.

So... also really looking for a "set bar width" style setting but not finding it...?

AshwinDaniel
Contributor III
Contributor III

@kdaniels-obrien You shall try turn ON the scroll bar under the presentation. Also you have to keep "Auto" for No of X-axis value under x-axis. These steps will enable you play with "the width of the bars" under styling using adjustable bar.