cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ciphergod
Contributor III
Contributor III

Calculate how many days an event occur in a month

Hi all, need some help or directions on how to achieve something.

Current i am trying to keep track of how many days a certain event occur, across different months. This isn't such a huge issue, until i face this scenario which 'breaks' what i am currently doing.

the 3 field that are in question, Event, Start Date, End Date.

Usually i will just calculate the days between both dates and peg it onto the month in the Start Date. i.e. Event occur from 16-18 Jun --> 3 days in Jun

Issue occur when the event happens across two months, i.e. Event occur from 30 Jun-2Jul --> from what i have been doing it will be 3 days in Jun, instead of 1 day in Jun and 2 days in Jul.

There must be a better way of doing this as a whole, or maybe a formula to better represent what i want to express, any ideas?

The ultimate goal is to sum up all occurance (e.g. 12 days in Jun, 14 days in Jul ... ... ) to see the statistics across different months. 

4 Replies
Vegar
MVP
MVP

I would consider using an interval match to link your transaction table to your calendar.

Take a look at this help page: https://help.qlik.com/en-US/sense/June2020/Subsystems/Hub/Content/Sense_Hub/Scripting/ScriptPrefixes...

It will look something like this

IntervalMatch ( DateID) //date key in master calendar

LOAD [Start date] , [End date] 

Resident EventTable;

I hope this chortle be of help for you. 

ciphergod
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi, IntervalMatch does seem useful. It does require a 3rd Date related field, which i dont have and you suggest a master calendar date key.

However i have not worked with master calendar before, a quick search tells me i need to create it using an existing Date related field. In this situation, how do i do it? In the sense that do i use the start or end date for that?

In the example from the link, it basically have the field they want it to be match, and a fixed set of range. However in my case, i have a fix set of fields (12 months of the year) and an increasing entries of range, will that work too?

Vegar
MVP
MVP

Consider the script below. It will enable you to calculate the no of days in an event like I've done in my image bar chart. Vegar_0-1593153145144.png

SET DateFormat='YYYY-MM-DD';
EventTable:
LOAD * Inline [
EventID,Start date, End date
001, 		2020-01-01, 2020-02-29
002, 		2020-01-01, 2020-03-01
003,		2020-06-16,	2020-06-18
004,		2020-06-30,	2020-07-02
005, 		2020-02-01, 2020-06-16
];

/*Defining the min and max of calendar. 
  I set them static, but you can do it more dynamicly by looking att your previous loaded values in the data model. */
LET vL.MinDate= num(date#('2020-01-01', 'YYYY-MM-DD') ); 
LET vL.MaxDate=num(date#('2020-08-01', 'YYYY-MM-DD'));

[Master calendar]:
LOAD 	
	%DateID,
	DayName(%DateID) as Date,
	Month(%DateID) as Month,
	Year(%DateID) as Year
;
LOAD 
	$(vL.MinDate)+IterNo()-1 as %DateID
AutoGenerate 1
While $(vL.MinDate)+IterNo()-1 < $(vL.MaxDate);

LEFT JOIN ([Master calendar])
IntervalMatch (%DateID) //date key in master calendar
LOAD [Start date] , [End date] 
Resident EventTable;

You can adjust the fields of your master calendar to meet your needs. Just do a google search for Qlik Master Calendar and you will find a lot of examples. 

ciphergod
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi, starting to see how this could work. However i face 2 issues when trying to do something almost exact the same as your example.

1. I face the issue of syn key for Start Date and End Date

2. When i count(Date), it gives me inaccurate result. It basically throws out all available days in the range i set (the whole year) and the result i want. i.e. if result for June is 4,it will give me 4+30. Any idea what is causing that? I basically used almost the exact code you showed with some additional columns that gives other details.