Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SerSwagster
Creator
Creator

Confict between Wildmatch

Hi everyone,

I have the field COLORS (string) filled with values like these:

green,blue

red,green-blue

red,blue,yellow-orange

yellow,blue,red

yellow-orange,red,blue,green

green,red,blue

I made this specific code to count the records that contain a specific color (NAME represent another column):

if(Left(NAME, 5) = '2019_' and WildMatch(COLOR,'*yellow-orange*','*green-blue*), 'check',
if(Left(NAME, 5) = '2022_' and WildMatch(COLOR,'*yellow*','*orange*','*green*','*red*','*blue*'), 'check', 'ok'))

The problem is that in the row with name 2022, I want to select only occurrences with yellow, orange, etc. values, not also yellow-orange! But wildmatch sees the yellow word and takes also records with yellow-orange value.

I tried also to implement a double WildMatch for Name '2022_' to avoid this, but it neither works, as the two conditions lead to a conflict:

if(Left(NAME, 5) = '2019_' and WildMatch(COLOR,'*yellow-orange*','*green-blue*), 'check',
if(Left(NAME, 5) = '2022_' and (WildMatch(COLOR,'*yellow*','*orange*','*green*','*red*','*blue*') and NOT WildMatch(COLOR,'yellow-*','*green-*', 'check', 'ok'))

Any suggestion?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
marcus_sommer

In this case should then the following work:

if(Left(NAME, 5) = '2022_' and WildMatch(COLOR,'*yellow,*','*yellow','*orange,*','*green*','*red*','*blue*'), 'check', 'ok'))

If there are really more (complex) combinations of search-items (not only related to your colours else to all kinds of string-concats) which aren't always unique because of overlapping values you may avoid such troubles by replacing the string-values through numbers. There are multiple ways possible, for example just with indexing them starting with 1 to n - directly or maybe also within a dual(). Instead of this index you may also use one of the color-codes methods. Although it looked like more efforts it could make things easier and saving in the end more time as using such logics.

- Marcus

View solution in original post

7 Replies
marcus_sommer

You may use the wildcard-signs of * and ? by specifying the searches but you mustn't. This means the following should work:

if(Left(NAME, 5) = '2022_' and WildMatch(COLOR,'yellow','orange','*green*','*red*','*blue*'), 'check', 'ok'))

- Marcus

SerSwagster
Creator
Creator
Author

Hi Marcus, the problem is that each value is a string like this:

{yellow, red, green}

{orange, blue}

{yellow-orange, green}

{yellow, orange}

So I can't use wildmatch without the sign * because yellow is not the only word in the string. I have to find a way to use wildmatch that recognize yellow but not yellow-orange e.g.

marcus_sommer

Ok. But then it should be possible to reverse to the previous logic and to use the value-delimiter within the search, like:

if(Left(NAME, 5) = '2022_' and WildMatch(COLOR,'*yellow,*','*orange,*','*green*','*red*','*blue*'), 'check', 'ok'))

- Marcus

SerSwagster
Creator
Creator
Author

This solution could be right, unless the substring is in the last position of the string. Here an example:

{green-blue, yellow}

In this case, yellow is not recognized because being in the last spot means that it is not followed by ','. In all the remaining cases, it works.

marcus_sommer

This case could be also added to the search-items, like:

if(Left(NAME, 5) = '2022_' and WildMatch(COLOR,'*yellow,*','*yellow}*','*orange,*','*green*','*red*','*blue*'), 'check', 'ok'))

- Marcus

SerSwagster
Creator
Creator
Author

Sorry Marcus, I misspoke. Every value has no curly bracket. I put it only to be more readable on this discussion, but the values are like:

yellow, red, green

orange, blue

yellow-orange, green

yellow, orange

I'm sorry for the misunderstanding.

marcus_sommer

In this case should then the following work:

if(Left(NAME, 5) = '2022_' and WildMatch(COLOR,'*yellow,*','*yellow','*orange,*','*green*','*red*','*blue*'), 'check', 'ok'))

If there are really more (complex) combinations of search-items (not only related to your colours else to all kinds of string-concats) which aren't always unique because of overlapping values you may avoid such troubles by replacing the string-values through numbers. There are multiple ways possible, for example just with indexing them starting with 1 to n - directly or maybe also within a dual(). Instead of this index you may also use one of the color-codes methods. Although it looked like more efforts it could make things easier and saving in the end more time as using such logics.

- Marcus