Skip to main content
Announcements
Accelerate Your Success: Fuel your data and AI journey with the right services, delivered by our experts. Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
barrp
Contributor II
Contributor II

Connecting Qlik Sense to an AWS MySQL database

Hi,

I have a MySQL database located on the AWS cloud.  What are steps to connect Qlik Sense to such a database?

Thanks

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AmirMoha
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hi Barrp, 

There are two things I had to consider when I was adding MySQL AWS database connection to Qlik 

1- https://help.qlik.com/en-US/cloud-services/Subsystems/Hub/Content/Sense_Hub/Introduction/qlik-cloud-...

you have to add the ip's in the link above based on your location (Analytics and Data Integration part) to the security group in AWS

2- the timeout I have increased it to 600

after doing the above things, it worked with no issues since 

AmirMoha_0-1680252453525.png

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Mike_Dickson
Support
Support

Hello @barrp 

To connect Qlik Sense to an AWS MySQL database, you can follow these general steps:
1. Open Qlik Sense and go to the "Data load editor".
2. Click on "Create new connection".
3. Select "MySQL" as the database type.
4. Enter the connection details, such as the server name, port number, database name, and credentials.
5. Test the connection to ensure that it is successful.
6. Click on "Create" to save the connection.

Here are some more detailed steps to connect Qlik Sense to an AWS MySQL database:
1. Open Qlik Sense and go to the "Data load editor".
2. Click on "Create new connection".
3. Select "MySQL" as the database type.
4. Enter the connection details, such as the server name, port number, database name, and credentials. For example:
```
Connection name: AWS MySQL
Server: <AWS MySQL server name or IP address>
Port: <AWS MySQL port number>
Database: <database name>
Username: <username>
Password: <password>
```
Note: You may need to configure your AWS security group to allow incoming traffic on the MySQL port.
5. Test the connection to ensure that it is successful. Click on "Test connection" and wait for the confirmation message.
6. Click on "Create" to save the connection.
7. You can now use this connection to load data from the AWS MySQL database into Qlik Sense.

It is also worth noting that Qlik Sense supports various other data sources, such as Excel, CSV, and other databases. The process of connecting to these data sources may differ slightly, but the general steps are similar.

Sr. Technical Support Engineer with Qlik Support
Don't forget to mark a solution that worked for you!
barrp
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Thanks Mike.   However, AWS only offers the MySQL Community Edition, not the Enterprise version.  And I can see from "Create new connection" section that only the MySQL connection option is for the Enterprise version.  

Is there a way to connect Qlik Sense to a Community version on AWS?

Regards

AmirMoha
Contributor III
Contributor III

Yes you can connect to Community Edition even though in Qlik it says Enterprise, but you can still connect to it, that is exactly what I have done

barrp
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Thanks Amir.  I'm getting the following error message when I try and connect:

"ERROR [08001] [Qlik][MySQL] (1004) The connection has timed out while connecting to server: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.rds.amazonaws.com at port: 3306."

I assumed this was because I was trying to connect to the Community version. 

Any ideas what could be casing this?  I can connect to my AWS database via my local Python environment, by permissioning my IP address in the AWS security group settings.  Is there something similar I need to do to allow access for Qlik Sense?

Regards

AmirMoha
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hi Barrp, 

There are two things I had to consider when I was adding MySQL AWS database connection to Qlik 

1- https://help.qlik.com/en-US/cloud-services/Subsystems/Hub/Content/Sense_Hub/Introduction/qlik-cloud-...

you have to add the ip's in the link above based on your location (Analytics and Data Integration part) to the security group in AWS

2- the timeout I have increased it to 600

after doing the above things, it worked with no issues since 

AmirMoha_0-1680252453525.png

barrp
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Thanks Amir, that worked.  Much appreciated.