Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gorkemakinci
Contributor II
Contributor II

Count either match() or substring() dependant on distinct ID

Hi there,

I'm trying to create a pie chart to be able to visualise the ratios of 3 different values of a field. And for that I'm using a simple dimension expression as;

=(if(SubStringCount([Example],'A')>0,'A', 
if(SubStringCount([Example],'B')>0,'B', 
if(SubStringCount([Example],'C')>0,'C', Null()))))

and my measure for their ratios is as following;

Count((if(SubStringCount([Example],'A')>0,'A', 
if(SubStringCount([Example],'B')>0,'B', 
if(SubStringCount([Example],'C')>0,'C', Null())))))

If I only had one ID this would've worked like a charm, but I have one ID field and a subID field, so basically my data is like a tree but this [Example] field is auto filled before I load it to Qlik Sense. So to sum it up, for example I have an ID as "1" and an ID as "2", ID "1" has 4 subID's so it has 4 values of A for example. And ID "2" has 2 subID's and therefore it has 2 C values.

Right now my expression is giving me 4 A values and 2 C values therefore I can't acquire the correct ratio for 2 ID's as a result of that auto filling process. I Hope I was able to explain it well enough.

P.S. I am aware that I could just load a new table for frequenct of these values based on the main ID with a Load Distinct in the load editor, and then use those fields for the pie chart, but I really would love to handle this inside the expressions and not from the load editor.

Thanks in advance, have a nice one everyone!

Labels (5)
7 Replies
MayilVahanan

Hi

Try like below

Exp: Count(Distinct Example)

In Dimension, its already restricted to display only A, B & C. 

Thanks & Regards, Mayil Vahanan R
Please close the thread by marking correct answer & give likes if you like the post.
gorkemakinci
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi again,

I couldn't explain it properly so I'll write down an example input and a desired outcome.

ID SubID Example
1 x A
1 y A
1 z A
2 x B
2 y B
3 x C
3 y C
3 z C
4 x B
4 y B

So from this table example I don't want distinct values on Example field, I want the values of Example fields for distinct ID's, but was unable to write the expression in the pie chart.

Desired Outcome:

ID SubID Example
1 doesn't matter at all A
2 doesn't matter at all B
3 doesn't matter at all C
4 doesn't matter at all B

Sorry if I was unclear from the beginning of the topic. Have a nice one!

MayilVahanan

Sorry ya, so u are expecting the Example B has 2 Id in Pie Chart?

If so , try like below

Dim: Example

Exp:Count(Distinct ID)

Else, can you show the expected output?

Thanks & Regards, Mayil Vahanan R
Please close the thread by marking correct answer & give likes if you like the post.
gorkemakinci
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Yes that was just a small scale example, so when I try it like this I'm getting the error "The chart is not displayed because it contains only undefined values."

It is because I actually have a concatenated column instead of the Example column like I wanted, that's why I'm dealing with substring functions in my example code.

Is there any possible way to insert our limitation into the code I shared in the first post, somethink like group by() or distinct in the correct position? I tried it but wasn't successful so maybe you can think of something else?

marcus_sommer

I think it could be done much simpler by skipping the dimension and just applying 3 expressions, like:

count({< Example = {"*A*"}>} Example)
count({< Example = {"*B*"}>} Example)
count({< Example = {"*C*"}>} Example)

with absolute results and each one dividing per:

count({< Example = {"*A*", "*B*", "*C*"}>} Example)

would return the rates.

gorkemakinci
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Can't try it atm as I'm not on my PC, but I wanted to ask do you think would it work if the Example field has more than couple of values inside it? Because the reason I used Substring Count is that there are values as "A A B B B C D E F" and I only am interested in A, B and C for example. I also want 2 A's to be counted from this example value and 3 B's and 1 C. Don't know if this makes sense for you but I'll let you know once I'm able to try it out!

marcus_sommer

In the provide logic above it's regardless how many chars of A, B or C are there - it will return TRUE if at least one is found and would not be different from your substringcount() > 0. A complex counting wouldn't be possible with the above simple set analysis whereby a few variances might be also practicably possible, like:

count({< Example = {"*A*A*A*"}> + < Example = {"*A*A*"}>} Example)