Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
harisin22
Contributor II
Contributor II

Count in Relational Tables

Hello:

I am new to Qlik Sense - would appreciate any help or resources on this:

I have seven relational tables (tbl1, tabl2, etc), all linked on a specific filed (fieldX). There are one-to-many (or one-to-none) relationships between the tables. How do I write a COUNT expression that counts the number of records in a given table on "filedX" (to create a measure that can then be used in visualizations)?

Thanks!

3 Replies
MK_QSL
MVP
MVP

You can simply use Count(Distinct FieldX) or Count(FieldX) according to your requirements.

Also, you can create Flags for each table.. Say

1 as T1 for Table1

and so on

and can now use

Count({<T1 = {1} >}Distinct FieldX)

This will give you distinct count of FieldX based on Table 1 only.

The same way you can use for other tables as well.

HTH.

harisin22
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Thanks, Manish.

I imagine what you have recommended probably works well. But the counts are not correct for these tables - I think this is probably a limitation of my own understanding of how relational data sets are handled by Qlik Sense.

For example, I know that table2 has fourth of the records of table1, yet when I use the count function as you have described it (with tag =1), I get the same counts for both tables (i.e. the count for table1). Same is true for all other tables.

Although I did not do this, my best guess is that the tables are getting joined on table1, thus resulting in table1 row counts, but not sure.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this...

Hari

MK_QSL
MVP
MVP

If you are joining tables, then create these flags before joining those tables.