Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
caiomartins
Contributor II
Contributor II

Data Security - Scripting

Hi all, 

I have the following problem: there are multiple views within the same app, where all the users have access to as viewers.

However, parts of this data should be hidden, according to the user. For example, for field X, only Bob and John should see the sub-dimension X.1, whereas Karen and Anna should only see the sub-dimension X.2. And this logic applies to many other fields / dimensions. 

I am new to Qlik and I am exploring the options for that, so far, I came across Section Access, but I'm unsure if it would solve the problem here. 

Moreover, section access seems to deal with scripting. The data comes from Excel and it is manually uploaded every week, by that I mean, deleting the current data, adding a new one and loading again. But wouldn't it also mean that this process would delete the script every time?

Any help here is much appreciated. Thank you!

Labels (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Andrea_Bertazzo
Support
Support

Hi Caiomartins,

Thanks for the nice question. Session Access is definitely the solution for you. You don't need to worry about the data updates, in fact session access works with essentially two factors that don't change much with time:

• Users: the users opening your Qlik applications do not change with the data, they are normally the same for a long time.
  • Fields: data values change with time but the fields remain the same. You may have different values for "Sales" every week, but the "Sales" field remains.

Session Access deals with scripting. I see you are new to Qlik, so, as first thing, I would suggest this nice tutorial to get the basics of scripting. I would suggest you to complete it before starting with the Session Access definition:  having an idea of how script works will help you to better understand also what you can get from Session Access.

You then can find many tutorial on Session Access.

If you are working with QlikView, this is a good one.

For Qlik Sense,  you can check the help and I would suggest also a look at this video.

Do let me know if you have any questions.

Help users find answers! Do not forget to mark a solution that worked for you! If already marked, give it a thumbs up ! 🙂

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Andrea_Bertazzo
Support
Support

Hi Caiomartins,

Thanks for the nice question. Session Access is definitely the solution for you. You don't need to worry about the data updates, in fact session access works with essentially two factors that don't change much with time:

• Users: the users opening your Qlik applications do not change with the data, they are normally the same for a long time.
  • Fields: data values change with time but the fields remain the same. You may have different values for "Sales" every week, but the "Sales" field remains.

Session Access deals with scripting. I see you are new to Qlik, so, as first thing, I would suggest this nice tutorial to get the basics of scripting. I would suggest you to complete it before starting with the Session Access definition:  having an idea of how script works will help you to better understand also what you can get from Session Access.

You then can find many tutorial on Session Access.

If you are working with QlikView, this is a good one.

For Qlik Sense,  you can check the help and I would suggest also a look at this video.

Do let me know if you have any questions.

Help users find answers! Do not forget to mark a solution that worked for you! If already marked, give it a thumbs up ! 🙂
caiomartins
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Thank you very much, Andrea.

We ended up doing the session access indeed. 

Thanks again!