Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stars
Creator
Creator

Displaying Mean by Year for Trend Chart

I'm trying to understand reference lines.  I would like to add the mean to my trend chart, which shows margin over time for three companies.  When I try to ass the mean, I get the combined mean for all years (see image).  Is there a way to have it calculate the mean for each year instead, so the mean shows a trend, instead of a flat line?

My expression for my measure is:

Min({$<Cost={"Metric1"}>}Value)/Min({$<Cost={"Metric2"}>}Value)

My expression for my reference line is:

=Avg(TOTAL Aggr(Min({$<Cost={"Metric1"}>}Value)/Min({$<Cost={"Metric2"}>}Value), Year))

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
treysmithdev
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

Sorry, I didn't realize this was for the reference line. Unfortunately, the short answer is no. Reference lines do not have any dimensionality. It will evaluate to 1 number, and that value is used for the line. Don't think of it as another measure in your chart, it's merely a threshold/identifier.

Blog: WhereClause   Twitter: @treysmithdev

View solution in original post

4 Replies
treysmithdev
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

Try this:

=Avg(TOTAL <Year> Aggr(Min({$<Cost={"Metric1"}>}Value)/Min({$<Cost={"Metric2"}>}Value), Year))
Stars
Creator
Creator
Author

Thanks!  I tried it, but nothing changed....  The expression LOOKS better, but didn't seem to make any difference.

treysmithdev
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

Sorry, I didn't realize this was for the reference line. Unfortunately, the short answer is no. Reference lines do not have any dimensionality. It will evaluate to 1 number, and that value is used for the line. Don't think of it as another measure in your chart, it's merely a threshold/identifier.

Stars
Creator
Creator
Author

Thank you!  That helps.  I'll keep trying to add the mean to my trend chart, but not via a reference line.