Contributor II

Dynamic set analysis for year and quarter

Hi,

I currently have a table that looks something like this:

Year & QuarterData
2020 Q111
2020 Q25
2020 Q32

In my chart, I want that each time I update the table with a new row, the data for the latest Year & Quarter is displayed, as opposed to this, which I'd have to update every time: Sum((<[Year & Quarter]={'2020 Q3'}>) [Data])

I have tried using MaxString without any luck. While this does return the current Year & Quarter, I can't use it within the set analysis to grab the data. Max doesn't work I assume because it's not a number. I've also tried grabbing the last row of data, but can't figure that out either.

Thanks! I would be grateful for any advice. I should also mention that this table is associated with other tables using [Year & Quarter] as the association. 

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anil_Babu_Samineni

Since some string is involved it always recommend to interpret your values to dual like

I have converted your field to

LOAD Data, Dual([Year & Quarter], QuarterStart(Makedate(Left([Year & Quarter],4)),Right([Year & Quarter],1)-1)) as [Year & Quarter]
INLINE [
Year & Quarter, Data
2020 Q1, 11
2020 Q2, 5
2020 Q3, 2
];

and expression is this

Sum({<[Year & Quarter]={"$(=MaxString([Year & Quarter]))"}>} Data)

Best Anil, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Anil_Babu_Samineni

Since some string is involved it always recommend to interpret your values to dual like

I have converted your field to

LOAD Data, Dual([Year & Quarter], QuarterStart(Makedate(Left([Year & Quarter],4)),Right([Year & Quarter],1)-1)) as [Year & Quarter]
INLINE [
Year & Quarter, Data
2020 Q1, 11
2020 Q2, 5
2020 Q3, 2
];

and expression is this

Sum({<[Year & Quarter]={"$(=MaxString([Year & Quarter]))"}>} Data)

Best Anil, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful