Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RitaM
Contributor
Contributor

Getting synthetic keys error when load data

Hi

I am new in Qlik Sense

Trying to join 2 tables based on 2 columns in Data Load Editor

getting synthetic keys error when load data:

table1. header, ID,  *

table2. header, ID, *

need to create join table1.header=table2.header and table1.ID=table2.ID

I am using Oracle database

Please advise.

Thanks

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi @RitaM ,

Lets be clear about using key words used in your question. When you say "Join 2 tables" based on your description I guess you actually dont mean "Join" but instead load them separately and create association between them based on 2 fields - right?

You probably need to create compound key (concatenate 2 fields into 1) but to answer that question Rob @rwunderlich  has written excellent presentation about ways of dealing with synthetic keys so have a look at it:

https://qlikviewcookbook.com/resolving-synthetic-keys/

We dont know your data and Rob in his presentation ask multiple questions which you need to answer before you make a decision on how to solve it eventually based on your scenario.

Lastly - if you really wanted to perform "Join" and from 2 tables create one then you have 2 options:

cheers

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi @RitaM ,

Lets be clear about using key words used in your question. When you say "Join 2 tables" based on your description I guess you actually dont mean "Join" but instead load them separately and create association between them based on 2 fields - right?

You probably need to create compound key (concatenate 2 fields into 1) but to answer that question Rob @rwunderlich  has written excellent presentation about ways of dealing with synthetic keys so have a look at it:

https://qlikviewcookbook.com/resolving-synthetic-keys/

We dont know your data and Rob in his presentation ask multiple questions which you need to answer before you make a decision on how to solve it eventually based on your scenario.

Lastly - if you really wanted to perform "Join" and from 2 tables create one then you have 2 options:

cheers

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
RitaM
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Hi Lech_Miszkiewicz,

Thank you for your help!

I was able to create compound key1 and join 2 tables (table1 - Fact, table2 - dimensional)

Next I need to create another compound key2 and join 3-d table, to make sure that tabe1 joined to table2, table3,   and etc. but I am getting error when try to join table3…

I need to archive Star schema model where table1 - fact and other tables are multiple dimension tables.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Rita

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi,

what error are you getting @RitaM ?