Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BindiyaThota
Contributor
Contributor

Global Filter Pane

Hi,

I have 3 independent data sets (different data, different grain). But I want to present them in one app. I ensured that each visual only refers to fields from one data set and not multiple.

Though the datasets are different, I have Year-month field across all data sets. So, I wanted to add a filter such that when users select a month all visuals present data accordingly. But when I add a filter pane (with year-month) from a dataset, only corresponding visuals are changing and not all.

How can I resolve this? Any suggestion is much appreciated.

Thanks.

Labels (4)
6 Replies
maheshkuttappa
Creator II
Creator II

What does your data model look like? i suggest looking at community resources to handle multiple tables. Ideally, you have a single concentrated fact table with a date field link to the Master calendar that will serve your purpose.

Refer below link 

Calendar with multiple date fields from multiple tables 

Vegar
MVP
MVP

How the data separated? Can it be a solution to rename the Year-Month field in the three so that the names are identical?  By doing so you will have an association between the three using year-month.

BindiyaThota
Contributor
Contributor
Author

@maheshkuttappa  & @Vegar , thank you for your responses.

More about my datasets (hypothetical). 

Table1 Columns: Year-Month, State, State_Sales

Table2 Columns: Year-Month, Regional_Manager_Name, Mgr_Sales

I added a stacked bar from Table1 to present sales by Year-Month & State. From Table2, say I added a table visual displaying all details. 

I thought that since these 2 tables are at different grain, if I associate them then the end results will be invalid. I.e. say for 2023 Jan, I have 2 records in Table1 and 5 records in Table2, then creating association on 'Year-Month' field will create 10 records and both State_Sales & Mgr_Sales will be double counted.

But I think association is different from Join. What I assumed will happen if I had joined the tables and not associated. 

I was able to associate tables on Year-Month field and add a filter pane on the same field. Selecting a value from the filter pane had reflected appropriate data in all visuals.

HeshamKhja1
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Hi @BindiyaThota ,

I think what you are trying to achieve is the Master Calendar concept in Qlik. The Master Calendar allows you to have a master date, month, quarter,  year, etc. dimensions that are uniform across the dashboard.

You will find lots of material about the topic, this is one of them https://community.qlik.com/t5/QlikView-App-Dev/Creating-A-Master-Calendar/td-p/341286

Now after you create your master calendar, you will achieve the scenario where you filter single month-year and all the data is filtered.

To achieve your second scenario which is a filter for a specific dataset, you can use the alternate state concept in Qlik.

If you need further information, let us know. I suggest you start with the Master Calendrer, and when you successfully build it, move to the other scenario.

HeshamKhja1
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

How are things? Were you able to achieve what you wanted?

BindiyaThota
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Yes, I was able to achieve what I wanted. Thank you!