Skip to main content
Announcements
July 15, NEW Customer Portal: Initial launch will improve how you submit Support Cases. IMPORTANT DETAILS
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dan205
Contributor III
Contributor III

How to count the number of NULL values in a field?

I'm trying to create a KPI that simply counts the number of NULL values in a field. The table has over 10,000 rows and looking at the preview I can see a lot of NULLs in the field of interest.

RangeNullCount() finds the number of NULL values in an expression or field, so I thought that might be what I need,  but RangeNullCount(field_name) returns 1. I must be doing something wrong.

How do I count the number of rows with a NULL value?

Thanks in advance.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Or
MVP
MVP

Perhaps NullCount() would work here? RangeNullCount() needs a range, and a field is not a range, so it wouldn't do the job here.

If there's a non-null field in the same table as the field, you could also use Count(NonNullField)-Count(NullField), presumably.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Or
MVP
MVP

Perhaps NullCount() would work here? RangeNullCount() needs a range, and a field is not a range, so it wouldn't do the job here.

If there's a non-null field in the same table as the field, you could also use Count(NonNullField)-Count(NullField), presumably.

dan205
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Yes, that's the function I need. Also the values were not actually NULL but contained 'NULL' instead. I had to Set Nulls on NULL in the Data Manager. Now I have the correct count.

Thanks,

Dan