Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
psh
Contributor II
Contributor II

How to do text string search in building an action button on a sheet

Hello:

I have the following problem:

1 - For [REASONS] I do not own the app and will not be given permissions to modify the app.  I can't copy the app, either.

2 - Therefore I must do the following only in the controls of a sheet.

On a sheet, I have a table with a column with a bunch of text strings (file names).

I want to build an action button that does the following:

Filters the table as such

A - Has the text string "Straw" somewhere in the name

AND

B - Has the text string "Sticks" OR "Bricks" in the name

Both A and B must be satisfied for the row to remain in the table. 

How do I write the expression in the Actions editor to accomplish this?  Is it even possible?

Thanks!

(Other extraneous details: I'm trying to automate some record-keeping processes that are done manually in Excel. I'm new to my org, so for [REASONS] my given work process is to create sheets from existing apps rather than building new apps. The goal is to give users the ability to click a button (the action button I'm trying to create above), get a filtered sheet, and then export that sheet to save it as an excel file. Again, I'm not choosing this workflow/process/output. 🙂 But I do agree that a clicking a button and getting the table will save a lot of time for the folks who do this process by hand so it's a start.)

Labels (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
andoryuu
Creator III
Creator III

Like you said - there are way better ways to do this if you had rights to the app.  Since you are restricted to creating a button and searching the text field you can set the expression below to the "Value" of the action to limit your field we'll call "TextValue". as a "Select multiple values in a field" action with the select field set to ">>Define field by expression".

=Concat({1<TextValue={"*Straw*"}>*(<TextValue={"*Bricks*"}>+<TextValue={"*Sticks*"}>)}TextValue,';')

Screenshot:

pic.jpg

Sample Attached.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
andoryuu
Creator III
Creator III

Like you said - there are way better ways to do this if you had rights to the app.  Since you are restricted to creating a button and searching the text field you can set the expression below to the "Value" of the action to limit your field we'll call "TextValue". as a "Select multiple values in a field" action with the select field set to ">>Define field by expression".

=Concat({1<TextValue={"*Straw*"}>*(<TextValue={"*Bricks*"}>+<TextValue={"*Sticks*"}>)}TextValue,';')

Screenshot:

pic.jpg

Sample Attached.

psh
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Perfect!

Thanks!

This community is great.

andoryuu
Creator III
Creator III

@psh  no problem - I'm glad that it worked out.