Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
krypticphish
Contributor
Contributor

How to link 2 dates from 2 different tables in qlik sense

I have 2 tables of data, call them activity and pay. Activity has a date field that is the date an activity occurred. This can be basically any individual date. The pay table has a date field for pay period end date, so these dates are only every 2 weeks. I was to be able to grab all the activity dates that happened during a specific pay period. So if someone choose a pay period end date of 11/28/2021 it will grab all activity dates from 11/15/2021-11/28/2021. 

I have done some research and seen where I may need to create 2 separate calendars and/or a canonical date. I was watching a tutorial for the canonical date and it used order date and shipped date, but tied these together using an OrderID. I am not sure I have a field that ties my date fields together like that so I am not sure if a canonical date would work for me, or if it will how to build it.

Labels (1)
1 Reply
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

You can use a canonical date with two fact tables that are not linked.  The only requirement is that each fact table is linked to the DateLink table, which can be using a different key field. The two facts are then only loosely associated by Date. 

See Qlikview Cookbook: Tutorial - Using Common Date Dimensions https://qlikviewcookbook.com/recipes/download-info/tutorial-using-common-date-dimensions/ 

-Rob