Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
varunreddy
Creator III
Creator III

How to overcome the limited characters in an expression in QlikSense Pivot table?

Hi All,

I was trying to create the pivot table in QlikSense. For that I am trying to copy the expression already created in QlikView and trying to paste it in QlikSense. But it is only pasting the code upto certain characters. Is there a way to overcome this limit issue in QlikSense?

Thanks in advance! 

10 Replies
rogerpegler
Creator II
Creator II

Hi Varun

I must admit I'm not 100% sure.  Originally I think I found the solution through trial and error.

I think the $() encapsulation is needed to tell QS to use the variable as opposed to looking for a field the same name as the variable or using the variable name as straight text.

The way I look at it, the $() gets the variable content and embeds it in the expression, a bit like copy paste. I've also used it in the middle of expressions eg sum(Field) / $(Variable) * count(Field). 

I suspect the leading '=' causes issues because one is implied in the expression (eg Sum(Field) in an expression is interpreted as =Sum(Field)) and having it in the variable results in two leading equal signs which causes an error.