Skip to main content
Announcements
SYSTEM MAINTENANCE: Thurs., Sept. 19, 1 AM ET, Platform will be unavailable for approx. 60 minutes.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
su_pyae
Creator
Creator

Inner Joining 2 tables with common column

Hi, 

I am trying to inner-join two tables because I need a table with records that have matching values in both tables

Table 1 has 3 columns: A, B, C

Table 2 has 6 columns: C, D, E, F, G, H

My script looks like this:

Table_1:

LOAD  A, B, C FROM source1;

Inner Join (Table_1)

LOAD C, D, E, F, G, H FROM source2;

The script executed without any error. However, when I looked at the Data Model Viewer, the columns were there without any data. 

I have no idea what I did wrong. 

Thank you for your help in advance. 

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
su_pyae
Creator
Creator
Author

I was able to solve it after using Num#() function on both C columns. I was using Num() function before and after switching to Num#() function, I didn't use it on both columns and maybe that's why I kept getting blank rows. 

Thank you for brainstorming with me, Anthony!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
anthonyj
Creator III
Creator III

Hi,

It sounds like there's no intersection of values between the two tables or if "C" is a string there could be a case or spaces issue.

Can I suggest loading both tables without the inner join suffix allowing Qlik to associate on "C" and then check the Data Model Viewer to get the subset ratio and distinct values on the "C" column.

You can also create some filters and debug in the UI by putting in "A","C" and "D". If you know an expected value in "C" that should have both an "A" and a "D" then the association should pick that up. If there truly is no overlap between the tables either "A" or "D" will always have dark grey when choosing a "C".

Regards

Anthony

su_pyae
Creator
Creator
Author

Hi Anthony, 

I tried loading both tables without inner-joining them. Table 1 and 2 are associating with each other using "C" column without me having to change the data type. 

Table 1 has 48.4% as the sub-set ratio while Table 2 has 51.5%. 

Table 1 has over 50K rows and Table 2 has almost 30 K rows. 

su_pyae
Creator
Creator
Author

I was able to solve it after using Num#() function on both C columns. I was using Num() function before and after switching to Num#() function, I didn't use it on both columns and maybe that's why I kept getting blank rows. 

Thank you for brainstorming with me, Anthony!