Skip to main content
Announcements
Accelerate Your Success: Fuel your data and AI journey with the right services, delivered by our experts. Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hugo_nb
Contributor
Contributor

Is it possible to upload a Qlik Sense app on a website?

Hello everyone,

I am currently doing an internship at a company that uses Qlik Sense. Since joining, I've been learning how to use Qlik Sense, so I'd like to keep some of the dashboards or apps I like for my portfolio. This means that I would like to be able to see (but not change) them from my portfolio.

Firstly, is it possible to upload a Qlik dashboard to a website?

Secondly, at the end of my internship I will no longer have the Qlik license. In this case, is there a solution to continue to see the dashboards?

Thanks in advance and have a nice day!

Hugo

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AustinSpivey
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

First, I'd recommend checking to make sure you'd be allowed to keep apps that created in your internship, especially if any potentially sensitive data is used. Even if the data isn't sensitive, you may still be able to see some sensitive information in the app metadata and load script.

If that's all been resolved, though, your first step would be to export the app and keep the QVF file. Note that this would not necessarily include the data connections or any assets used from a Content Library like images. After that, you need to figure out how to host the app, if at all. Qlik doesn't offer a free, generally available public hosting option (at least not yet), so you'll need to handle that part yourself. Here are your options:

1. Take screenshots of the app's sheets to be able to share the visuals quickly and easily on your portfolio. You can then also share the QVF file for folks to be able to view the app in their own environment. You could record yourself in a video or GIF  going through the app and showing off the visuals and reactivity of the dashboards.
  2. If you're a student, you can apply to join the Qlik Academic Program, as you'll get free access to a Qlik SaaS tenant that you can use to host your app. The caveat here is that you would only be able to add up to 50 people to be able to view your app -- it would not, as far as I know, include any anonymous access rights that would allow you to simply embed the app in your portfolio site for all to see and use. Even then, you would need to double check that you'd be allowed to use the tenant that way.
  3. Similar to the above option, you could just get a 30 day trial of Qlik Sense SaaS to host the app and you can then invite folks to the tenant to view the app. Obviously this is a cumbersome option, as you're limited to only 30 days unless you are willing or able to pay after that.
  4. The wildcard option here is to try and find an organization that would be willing to host your app for you. I know that Vizlib has hosted folks' apps before to showcase their use of the Vizlib library. I'm not associated with Vizlib, though, so I can't speak to whether they still have these sorts of arrangements or not.
Austin Spivey | Principal Consultant @ Arc Analytics
ArcAnalytics.us | Add me on LinkedIn

View solution in original post

3 Replies
AustinSpivey
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

First, I'd recommend checking to make sure you'd be allowed to keep apps that created in your internship, especially if any potentially sensitive data is used. Even if the data isn't sensitive, you may still be able to see some sensitive information in the app metadata and load script.

If that's all been resolved, though, your first step would be to export the app and keep the QVF file. Note that this would not necessarily include the data connections or any assets used from a Content Library like images. After that, you need to figure out how to host the app, if at all. Qlik doesn't offer a free, generally available public hosting option (at least not yet), so you'll need to handle that part yourself. Here are your options:

1. Take screenshots of the app's sheets to be able to share the visuals quickly and easily on your portfolio. You can then also share the QVF file for folks to be able to view the app in their own environment. You could record yourself in a video or GIF  going through the app and showing off the visuals and reactivity of the dashboards.
  2. If you're a student, you can apply to join the Qlik Academic Program, as you'll get free access to a Qlik SaaS tenant that you can use to host your app. The caveat here is that you would only be able to add up to 50 people to be able to view your app -- it would not, as far as I know, include any anonymous access rights that would allow you to simply embed the app in your portfolio site for all to see and use. Even then, you would need to double check that you'd be allowed to use the tenant that way.
  3. Similar to the above option, you could just get a 30 day trial of Qlik Sense SaaS to host the app and you can then invite folks to the tenant to view the app. Obviously this is a cumbersome option, as you're limited to only 30 days unless you are willing or able to pay after that.
  4. The wildcard option here is to try and find an organization that would be willing to host your app for you. I know that Vizlib has hosted folks' apps before to showcase their use of the Vizlib library. I'm not associated with Vizlib, though, so I can't speak to whether they still have these sorts of arrangements or not.
hugo_nb
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Thank you very much for that accurate and complete answer. I will analyze these several solutions.

AustinSpivey
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Always happy to to help! Feel free to reach out to me via LinkedIn or email if you have further questions 😁