Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jeremyyeo93
Contributor
Contributor

Loading Multiple Rows in a single Cell

Hi I have a situation where I need to count multiple values within the same cell  like in the table below. The end result is to show a chart and the count and breakdown of awardees over the years.

I will be loading the values by an excel, and I would prefer not to hardcode.. Any Advice please? 

Award 2018 2019 2020
Prestigious Award

John

Charles

John

Adam

Peter

Peter
Junior Award   Jolene

Hercules

Joel

Labels (3)
7 Replies
marcus_sommer

You may use substringcount() on the delimiter-char which is probably a line-break + 1 and maybe some further if-loops to consider empty cells and/or any conditions.

But usually it's more suitable to load the data properly - means using a crosstable-load to resolve the crosstable-structure and then applying a subfield-loop on the field-values to create for each sub-value an own record. And afterwards it would be just something like: count(Name).

- Marcus

vinieme12
Champion III
Champion III

Try as below;

Crosstable(Yearlabel,Names,1)

Temp:

Load Award,2018,2019,2020 

From yoursource;

Main:

Load

Award

,Yearlabel

, Subfield (Names,chr(10)) as Names

Resident Temp;

Drop Table Temp;

Vineeth Pujari
If a post helps to resolve your issue, please accept it as a Solution.
jeremyyeo93
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Hi Marcus, appreciate the quick response. I understand what you trying to achieve and have resolved the crosstable-load portion already. Any advise on how i should be applying a subfield-loop in Qlik Sense? 

Appreciate the help!

jeremyyeo93
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Hi Vineeth, appreciate the quick response. I manage to do something similar but i will need to know how many awards has a person won so I think I will need a way to loop through the "Names" and populate a new row in the data load editor. Any advise?

Appreciate it!

tensini
Contributor II
Contributor II

TMP:
CrossTable(Years, People)
LOAD F1 as Award,
[2018],
[2019],
[2020]
FROM file.xlsx(ooxml, embedded labels, table is Sheet1)
Where Len(F1)>0;

Table:
LOAD
Award,
People,
Years,
Award &' '& Years as AwardID // This is the point!
Resident TMP;

DROP Table TMP;

Expression: Count(distinct AwardID)

Alternative: Count(distinct Award &' '& Years)

vinieme12
Champion III
Champion III

After doing the the above transformation you can count the number of awards in a chart as below

dimension

=Names

Measure

=count(Award)

Vineeth Pujari
If a post helps to resolve your issue, please accept it as a Solution.
marcus_sommer

It's like @vinieme12 showed it in his example - the first parameter in subfield() takes the fieldname, the second the delimiter-char (by line-breaks usually chr(10) or chr(13) or both in combination) and without specifying a third parameter it creates an internal load-loop and new records for each sub-string within the value.

- Marcus