Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jeremyyeo93
Contributor
Contributor

Loading Multiple Rows in a single Cell

Hi I have a situation where I need to count multiple values within the same cell  like in the table below. The end result is to show a chart and the count and breakdown of awardees over the years.

I will be loading the values by an excel, and I would prefer not to hardcode.. Any Advice please? 

Award 2018 2019 2020
Prestigious Award

John

Charles

John

Adam

Peter

Peter
Junior Award   Jolene

Hercules

Joel

Labels (3)
7 Replies
marcus_sommer

You may use substringcount() on the delimiter-char which is probably a line-break + 1 and maybe some further if-loops to consider empty cells and/or any conditions.

But usually it's more suitable to load the data properly - means using a crosstable-load to resolve the crosstable-structure and then applying a subfield-loop on the field-values to create for each sub-value an own record. And afterwards it would be just something like: count(Name).

- Marcus

vinieme12
Champion III
Champion III

Try as below;

Crosstable(Yearlabel,Names,1)

Temp:

Load Award,2018,2019,2020 

From yoursource;

Main:

Load

Award

,Yearlabel

, Subfield (Names,chr(10)) as Names

Resident Temp;

Drop Table Temp;

Vineeth Pujari
If a post helps to resolve your issue, please accept it as a Solution.
jeremyyeo93
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Hi Marcus, appreciate the quick response. I understand what you trying to achieve and have resolved the crosstable-load portion already. Any advise on how i should be applying a subfield-loop in Qlik Sense? 

Appreciate the help!

jeremyyeo93
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Hi Vineeth, appreciate the quick response. I manage to do something similar but i will need to know how many awards has a person won so I think I will need a way to loop through the "Names" and populate a new row in the data load editor. Any advise?

Appreciate it!

tensini
Contributor II
Contributor II

TMP:
CrossTable(Years, People)
LOAD F1 as Award,
[2018],
[2019],
[2020]
FROM file.xlsx(ooxml, embedded labels, table is Sheet1)
Where Len(F1)>0;

Table:
LOAD
Award,
People,
Years,
Award &' '& Years as AwardID // This is the point!
Resident TMP;

DROP Table TMP;

Expression: Count(distinct AwardID)

Alternative: Count(distinct Award &' '& Years)

vinieme12
Champion III
Champion III

After doing the the above transformation you can count the number of awards in a chart as below

dimension

=Names

Measure

=count(Award)

Vineeth Pujari
If a post helps to resolve your issue, please accept it as a Solution.
marcus_sommer

It's like @vinieme12 showed it in his example - the first parameter in subfield() takes the fieldname, the second the delimiter-char (by line-breaks usually chr(10) or chr(13) or both in combination) and without specifying a third parameter it creates an internal load-loop and new records for each sub-string within the value.

- Marcus