cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
clarcombefmsb
Contributor III
Contributor III

Loading all fields to Qlik variables via Excel

I would like to not only load variables via an excel file, but also add tags and descriptions

How should we specify the load expression 

Variables_Labels:
// Load Variables from Variables tab

Load
    Name
    ,Expression
    ,Comment
    ,Description
    ,Tag
FROM [($vManual)variables.xlsx]
(ooxml, embedded labels, table is [Variables-Labels]);

// Loop to generate a variable for each variable in the list

For i = 0 to NoOfRows('Variables_Labels') -1

      LET Name = text(Peek('Name',$(i),'Variables_Labels')) ;
      LET Comment = text(Peek('Comment',$(i),'Variables_Labels')) ;
    LET Description = text(Peek('Description',$(i),'Variables_Labels')) ;
    LET Tag= text(Peek('Tag',$(i),'Variables_Labels')) ;
      LET '$(Name)' = text(peek('Expression',$(i),'Variables_Labels'));

Next i
In the Let '$(Name)', how can we load the previous assigned variables of Tag Description etc to the variable ?

This is my Excel file
Name Expression Comment Tag Description
vlLanguage =IF(vLang='FR','Langue','Taal') Language Label Language Represents the language in which the document or information is written or communicated.
vlDocumentname =IF(vLang='FR','Nom du document','Documentnaam') Documentname Label Documentname Refers to the name or title given to a specific document or file.

Thanks

Labels (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
marcus_sommer

AFAIK a variable has no TAG property (only fields and tables have it). A COMMENT property exists but it's not available from the script else only from the UI. In QlikView the variables-comments could be read/write per macros. In Sense it should be also possible with any API but I don't know which and how.

Beside this you may load your Excel directly within the data-model and providing the information in a table to give the users additionally insights.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
menta
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Let vVariable_Name = Peek('Tag',$(i),'Variables_Labels'));
Let $(vVariable_Name) = text(peek('Expression',$(i),'Variables_Labels'));

clarcombefmsb
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately that doesn't work. The Tags and Description are still empty in the definition when I reload

clarcombefmsb_0-1684227838563.png

marcus_sommer

AFAIK a variable has no TAG property (only fields and tables have it). A COMMENT property exists but it's not available from the script else only from the UI. In QlikView the variables-comments could be read/write per macros. In Sense it should be also possible with any API but I don't know which and how.

Beside this you may load your Excel directly within the data-model and providing the information in a table to give the users additionally insights.