Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
richard_gale
Contributor II
Contributor II

Measure expression to include table look up

Hi - looking for some help, please, with an expression for a Measure (actually a Reference line expression).

This following expression works -

Sum({<File_Date={'31/12/2022'}>}[FTE Actual])

..but I want the expression to look up a table rather than include the text '31/12/2022'

Independently, this expression works (as a Dimension expression) to look up the value I want in the table

=({<MonthEnd={'Yes'}>}[Latest_ME])

but I have been unable to substitute the above 'look up' expression in the Measure expression for the text inside the ' '

Google hasn't been of any help at all unless I'm just searching using incorrect terminology.

Thanks, Richard

Labels (6)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MayilVahanan

Hi

Are you looking for dynamic date and merge the expressions? if so, try like below

Sum({<File_Date={"$(=Date(Max(File_Date), 'DD/MM/YYYY'))"}, MonthEnd={'Yes'}>}[FTE Actual])

Thanks & Regards, Mayil Vahanan R
Please close the thread by marking correct answer & give likes if you like the post.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
MayilVahanan

Hi

Are you looking for dynamic date and merge the expressions? if so, try like below

Sum({<File_Date={"$(=Date(Max(File_Date), 'DD/MM/YYYY'))"}, MonthEnd={'Yes'}>}[FTE Actual])

Please close the thread by marking correct answer & give likes if you like the post.
richard_gale
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi MayilVahanan,

Thank you - it works!

But I didn't really understand why since there was no reference to the Latest_ME field in the table from which to take the value (31/12/2022) - just the field from which to perform the look up (MonthEnd). I note that if I remove the MonthEnd part of the expression to leave the following, it still works which suggests to me the table isn't being used at all - rather the expression just looks for the maximum (or latest) File_Date in the table with FTE Actual in it - which basically does the same thing.

=Sum({<File_Date={"$(=Date(Max(File_Date), 'DD/MM/YYYY'))"}>}[FTE Actual])

So thanks very much again for solving my issue, but I'd still like to know if there is a way I could have used the table for a look up to derive the Latest_ME date?

Cheers, Richard

MayilVahanan

Hi

You can store into variable like vMaxLatest =Max({<MonthEnd={'Yes'}>}[Latest_ME]) 

and assign in the expression

=Sum({<File_Date={"$(=Date($(vMaxLatest ), 'DD/MM/YYYY'))"}>}[FTE Actual])

richard_gale
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Thanks again, MayilVahanan - I'm interested in the use of a variable since I'm still learning and haven't used these before, but I was unable to get your expression to work. I may be doing something wrong with the variable definition but it looks like it returns the correct value?

richard_gale_0-1673865232419.png

Thanks again for trying to help me learn

Cheers, Richard