Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nastor5
Contributor
Contributor

Modeling Tools / Data Transformation

I am looking at starting a POC on Snowflake for a DataWarehouse. I have been meeting with modeling and transformation vendors and would be really curious everyone opinion on things. A few takeaways.

Coalesce.io seems like a great tool, but it’s size in the space is so small (22 Twitter tweets, 93 followers, 50 employees total) that is scares me as a long term solution. It also has a higher cost than all the other tools I’ve looked at.

dbt sees like another great tool, it just is more code heavy and could be harder for my non code heavy team to pick up. However this can be offset by the lower cost of entry.

WhereScape, unlike the others on this list with a SaaS tool, this one would require a VM machine to run on. Also a small team that seems to have been in a steady decline in number of employees the past several years. Also more expensive than all on this list (other than coalesce.io).

Datameer, a real contender. Seems like a solid tool - but most of the Snowflake top vendors don’t use it. The partners with snowflake use dbt, coalesce and Matillion. I have met with 3 partners and none have heard of datameer.

Qlik, seems like a great tool but not much support from the Snowflake partner community, which is important to me.

Matillion - I meet with them this coming week. More to come

I am just in need of a quality modeling/transformation tool that will last for the long term. My priorities also include a SaaS tool. If my extract/load tool and data warehouse are SaaS, I don’t want a modeling or reporting tool that is not. Just doesn’t make logical sense.

Labels (1)
1 Reply
Datadude99
Contributor
Contributor

I would first break down the problem into the user type.
Some of those tools are more for ad hoc analytics by end users others are for data engineering/analytics engineering. 

You then have visual transformation tools versus code based tools. 

finally you have proprietary vs open source tools. 

IMO there are many downsides to visual tools when you use them as the core of your data platform but once you have gotten to good data marts using them is fine. At that point even excel is fine. 

regarding dbt in particular, it’s not “free” as in there’s more to it than installing it but there are options. Have a look at this article which explains them in more detail  

https://datacoves.com/post/dbt-cloud-vs-dbt-core

Regarding skill level anyone working on core data pipelines should know sql.