Skip to main content
Announcements
Accelerate Your Success: Fuel your data and AI journey with the right services, delivered by our experts. Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nicanova
Contributor III
Contributor III

Nesting Variables

Hi - I'm trying to figure out if I can nest Variables using Variable input. I've been asked to set up 2 ways of characterizing our sales opportunities, reflected in a bar chart. So I set up a Variable Input with 2 buttons that does a different set analysis based on the choice, 'Standard' and 'Non-Standard', and this is working perfectly.

vOld - Variable input with 2 buttons:

Standard: sum({$<[10 Yr Flag]={'Y'},Type={'Old'}>} [Total Contract Value])

Non-Standard: sum({$<[10 Yr Flag]={'Y'},Type={'Old'}>} [Total Contract Value])+sum({$<[10 Yr Flag]={'Y'},[Non-StandardFlag]={1}>} [Total Contract Value])

On top of that, I want to layer the fact that we have 2 ways of calculating our totals: Total Contract Value and a Factored Total. I tried setting another Variable input $(vTCV) with a choice of TCV or Factored amounts, which works on its own, but if I try to incorporate $(vTCV) into the Standard/Non-Standard expressions by replacing [Total Contract Value], I get an error that 'it contains only undefined values'.

vTCV - Variable input with 2 buttons:

TCV: [Total Contract Value]

Factored: [Factored TCV]

The bar chart measure is just: $(vOld)

Worst case, I will just consolidate into one Variable Input with 4 buttons: StandardTCV, StandardfTCV, NonStandardTCV, NonStandardfTCV

thanks in advance!

Labels (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
marcus_sommer

Nesting of variables is a rather bad idea. Of course, it's technically possible but it has various restrictions in regard to the syntax by creating and calling each part of it - and very important each comma within such variable-part is treated as parameter-delimiter.

Quite often creates such an approach a lot of efforts and a high complexity - without providing a general solution for similar cases else it's each time handwork ...

- Marcus

View solution in original post

4 Replies
brunobertels
Master
Master

Hi 

I do this in one of my app 

English is'nt ma native language so i'wiil try to explain

So you have a variable with 2 button each of it as a différent mesure  based one [Total Contract Value] dimension 

then you want to add a variable button that allow to swap the dim between  [Total Contract Value] and [Factored TCV]

So create a variable 

vTCV

add value 1 ( for [Total Contract Value] )

Value 2 for [Factored TCV]

create a variable in the panel editor let say vTCV1 and add this mesure 

=pick($(vTCV),'[Total Contract Value]','[Factored TCV]')

then now in your variable vOld  change the mesure like this 

Standard: sum({$<[10 Yr Flag]={'Y'},Type={'Old'}>} $(vTCV1))

Non-Standard: sum({$<[10 Yr Flag]={'Y'},Type={'Old'}>} [Total Contract Value])+sum({$<[10 Yr Flag]={'Y'},[Non-StandardFlag]={1}>} $(vTCV1))

If i understodd well your desired output and if i did not make mistake by replacinh my own variable name by ours 

it may work fine .. 

below an example with a simple graph aned this logic that allow me to swap between Time dimension Day Week Month 

and 3 kind of dimension in my mesure ( Received , Offered , HAndled calls ) 

brunobertels_0-1668791495727.png

nicanova
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi - Thank you! I tried, but it isn't working:

vTCVPick: =pick($(vTCV),'[Total Contract Value]','[Factored TCV]')

Standard: sum({$<[10 Yr Flag]={'Y'},Type={'Old'}>} $(vTCVPick))

Error in expression: Sum takes 1 parameter

Picture of vTCV Values:

nicanova_0-1668793918910.png

Result:

nicanova_1-1668793926278.png

marcus_sommer

Nesting of variables is a rather bad idea. Of course, it's technically possible but it has various restrictions in regard to the syntax by creating and calling each part of it - and very important each comma within such variable-part is treated as parameter-delimiter.

Quite often creates such an approach a lot of efforts and a high complexity - without providing a general solution for similar cases else it's each time handwork ...

- Marcus

brunobertels
Master
Master

Hi 

See attached qvf example with a step by step example 

Hope it helps