Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Evan0211
Creator
Creator

Null check the result of a variable

I have a variable that formats a string in a particular manner and returns the string. There are instances where this will return a null, which is by design. However, instead of it returning - (the qlik representation of null), I would like to to return a string 'Empty'.

Variable is vConcat_String

if I do: LEN($(vConcat_String)) I get the length of the strings returned if there is a string to return, but on null, I still get '-'. 

I have tried wrapping it in an isnull() function like: =if(isnull($(vConcat_String)), 'Empty', $(vConcat_String)) and it continues to express null values to '-' in the table.  I have also tried LEN: if(LEN($(vConcat_String)>1, $(vConcat_String), 'Empty') but the null value still expresses to '-' instead of 'Empty'.

Any suggestions?

Labels (3)
7 Replies
Vegar
MVP
MVP

Take a look at coalesce() or alt().

Coalesce(LEN($(vConcat_String)), 'Empty')

Alt(LEN($(vConcat_String)), 'Empty')

Evan0211
Creator
Creator
Author

Both of those yield the same result, it shows '-' instead of 'Empty'

Vegar
MVP
MVP

What's vConcat_String is it a string? An expression? Field name?

Depending on what the $(vConcat_String) returns, you might need to quote the result like this:

LEN('$(vConcat_String)')

Evan0211
Creator
Creator
Author

It is an if statement that checks three parameters and returns a string.

I have tried taking it out of the variable and checking the if statement using LEN and isnull() and no matter what, it returns null instead of 'Empty'

I have even gone as far as breaking down the if statement into segments and running just the segments to try and debug it and it continues to return a null instead of 'Empty'

if(not isnull(V_PII) and not isnull(C_NO), V_PII, 
if(isnull(V_PII) and not isnull(C_NO), C_NO, 
if(not isnull(V_PII) and isnull(C_NO) and isnull(T_O), V_PII, 
if(not isnull(V_PII) and isnull(C_NO) and not isnull(T_O), V_PII &'-'& T_O))))

This is the if statement that the variable is made from 

marcus_sommer

You have not specified an else-result for the if-loop which results in NULL if none if-part is TRUE and this result will remove the variable which means there is NOTHING on which you could check the len() or isnull() which of course require a parameter.

I assume the simplest solution for your scenario would be just to specify the else-result - maybe just with an empty string of: ''

Evan0211
Creator
Creator
Author

Could you provide an example? I have tried using an else statement in the loop but it still resolves to '-' as a null value.

marcus_sommer

Maybe this:

let v1 = if(1>2,true()); let v2 = if(1>2,true(), false());

marcus_sommer_3-1695303340112.png

It are expressions - from the top to the bottom $(v1) and $(v2) directly, then in len() and then within an if-loop.