Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Percentages of increments in pivot tables with calculated dimensions

I want to calulate percentage increases in a pivot table. However, the dimension is a calculated one, based on dates entered through 6 boxes of variable extension. I attach a reproducible file for Qlik Sense as an example.

I have 3 measures: Sum(Sales) as Sales, num(Count(Distinct [[Customer ID]),'#,##0',',' ) as UABs (acronym for Unique Active Buyers), and num((Sum(Profit)/Sum(Sales))*100,'0.00') &'%' as Benefits. I want to calculate the percentage of change of these metrics between 3 different periods: "Before Promotion" as "Before", "During Promotion" as "During", and "After Promotion" as "After".

Right now my report looks the following way:

new_look_2.png

Nevertheless, I would like to have something like in the following screen caption:

new_excel.png

Which means that the fields in:

• Before, have been calculated with the variation from Before to After (1st one and the 3rd one).
  • During, have been calcultaed with the variation from Before to During (1st and 2nd).
  • After, have been calculated with the variation from During to After (2nd and 3rd).

Sales and UAPs % Increase fields are calculated with the percentage formula: {([Final Value] / [Initial Value]) - 1} * 100.

Nevertheless, the Benefits increase field is calculated with a simple difference: [Final Vale] - [Initital Value], given that the values are in the same percentage units.

I appreciate beforehand any help on this specific case. Anibal

P.D. My results are 100% reproducible entering the following values in the 6 "Variable Extension" boxes:

BeforeMin = 03.10.17

BeforeMax = 04.10.17

DuringMin = 05.10.17

DuringMax = 06.10.17

AfterMin = 07.10.17

AfterMax =  08.10.17

2 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

The values in your field Date go from 01.05.17 to 08.05.17  [i.e. all in month 5, May]

Whereas the values you enter for your variables go from 03.10.17 to 08.10.2017 [i.e. all in month 10, Oct]

It also looks as if your data field Date is a string and not a numeric Qlik date.

The Calculated Dimension contains things like :

if( (Date>=Date(Date#('$(vBDA_1)','DD.MM.YY'),'DD.MM.YY'))

So :

• Date is a string
  • Date(Date#('$(vBDA_1)','DD.MM.YY'),'DD.MM.YY')) is a numeric Qlik date

This is all most confusing.

Maybe when you load the data from [lib://BI RESOURCES/SAMPLE DATA SET.xlsx] you should convert field Date into a numeric Qlik date.

Whilst this does not answer your actual question in the slightest, I do think the Date field needs sorting before you can progress and then maybe post a revised sample qvf.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Bill. Thank you for your reply. I will go through your comments and suggestions:

"The values in your field Date go from 01.05.17 to 08.05.17  [i.e. all in month 5, May]. Whereas the values you enter for your variables go from 03.10.17 to 08.10.2017 [i.e. all in month 10, Oct]"

Yes. My idea is creating an interactive report. No matter what dates you enter through the 6 Variable Extension boxes, the pivot table will calculate the increases of the correspondent measures (Sales, UABs, Benefits), considering the registries that fall into these 3 categories: "Before","During", and "After". The dates that the user specify through the boxes don´t need to cover the entire Date window of the Data Set.

"It also looks as if your data field Date is a string and not a numeric Qlik date. [...].  Maybe when you load the data from [lib://BI RESOURCES/SAMPLE DATA SET.xlsx] you should convert field Date into a numeric Qlik date."

I have done the following. I have gone to the "Data Load Editor" and modified the entire loading script so that the format of Dates is 100% compatible with my column Date. Before it was in standard Qlik Sense Desktop, and I have changed it to German format (DD.MM.YYYY), as it can be seen here:

new_format.png

I have also updated my .qvf sample file. Now, my Date column I believe is in Date format as it can be seen through this functions (Day(), Year(), Month()):

new_look.png

Don´t know if this can be any helpful to make some progress/targets your suggestions? Thanks, Anibal