Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KevSan
Contributor II
Contributor II

Pick and Match function for intervals

Hi everyone,

I would like to use the pick and match functions to color background of a field but I do not understand on how to use it. Can someone help me?

So the idea, is to calculate the difference between 2 durations and if result is :

< 20 min -> Green

>= 20 min <  30 min -> Orange

>= 30 min -> Red

Can you help me please ? 

Have a nice day.

Labels (1)
4 Replies
Almen
Creator II
Creator II

I don't know your datafields, but you can use If to pick the color for background.

If(Field or Measure < 20, rgb(165,211,0),

IF(Field or Measure >= 20 min and Field or Measur e<30, rgb(250,186,35),

IF(Field or Measure >= 30, rgb(230,74,60))))

KevSan
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Ok for nested if but is there a way to use pick and match ? Just for my understanding? 😄 

Almen
Creator II
Creator II

Sure, it is possible but needs extra work.

Just for clarification, pick() chooses an expression of a list based upon the ordinal number given by either a field or another function. pick(n, expr1,expr2,exprN)

Match() returns the location of the searched expression inside the given list. match(Str, expr1,expr2,exprN)

In Code:

pick(
match(Field, 'Red','Orange','Green'),
rgb(#,#,#),
rgb(#,#,#),
rgb(#,#,#)
)

So you have to define a field within your script because match needs a string to compare the list against.

But the moment you define that in the script, you might as well store the rgb(#,#,#) in the field and thus just have to use the field without any pick(match()) at all.

marcus_sommer

Pick(match()) could be used for such scenarios, for example with:

pick(match(-1, Duration<20, Duration<30, -1),
   color1, color2, color3)

but logically it's the same like the nested if-loops - just using a different syntax which provides mostly a better readability.

Different to it would be if you could apply a logic like:

pick(ceil(Duration / 10), color1, color2, color3)

The second approach based on logic to calculate the pick-index directly. If and how such logic is possible depends on the amount of possible return-values and if the intervals are homogeneous or not - whereby the index-calculation could be of course more complex by using some rangemin/rangemax to fetch the lower/upper outliers, more and other rounding and/or including also some if-branches.

Further it's possible to create an appropriate matching-table within any other tool and loading it into the data-model and a pick(match()) fetched these data within adhoc-variables.

The both last methods could become quite complex but are very helpful if the performance with the simple methods are too slow or if it's just too tedious to create a whole bunch of branches for it.

- Marcus